Architecting, installing and maintaining your SAS environment

SAS Environment Manager

Contributor

SAS Environment Manager

Hi There,

I am very new to SAS environment manager. Seeking help in understanding some basic concepts.

I have just one machine , which has meta/web services running on it.

I am normally using sas.servers to restart my services. When I am starting the environment manager server and agent it is creating so many processes immediately.

Some of the examples are as below:

sas 24612 18847 0 Jan04 ? 00:00:00 postgres: EVManager EVManager 10.195.21.60(42600) idle
sas 24613 18847 0 Jan04 ? 00:00:00 postgres: EVManager EVManager 10.195.21.60(42602) idle
sas 24614 18847 0 Jan04 ? 00:00:01 postgres: EVManager EVManager 10.195.21.60(42604) idle
sas 24615 18847 0 Jan04 ? 00:00:39 postgres: EVManager EVManager 10.195.21.60(42606) idle
sas 24616 18847 0 Jan04 ? 00:00:09 postgres: EVManager EVManager 10.195.21.60(42608) idle in transaction
sas 24617 18847 0 Jan04 ? 00:00:59 postgres: EVManager EVManager 10.195.21.60(42610) idle in transaction
sas 24618 18847 0 Jan04 ? 00:00:54 postgres: EVManager EVManager 10.195.21.60(42612) idle in transaction
sas 24619 18847 0 Jan04 ? 00:00:00 postgres: EVManager EVManager 10.195.21.60(42614) idle in transaction

I do not understand how and why these processes are getting generated?

What is the usual number of processes that gets created when SAS environment manager is started?

The purpose of this question is I want to schedule a weekly sas service restart and I want make sure each and every service came up properly. Please suggest if there is any easy way to validate if all services are up and running fine.

Trusted Advisor

Re: SAS Environment Manager

Posted in reply to suchismita

Hello @suchismita,

this behaviour is completely normal. The reasons are:

- You do have a postgreSQL database internal to SAS, the SAS Web Infrastructure Database (WIP db). This database is multi threaded, which means you will have multiple threads (or processes) per query, it could be even for a same query, in some cases.

- SAS EVM stores the data from monitoring into one tablespace in this database.

- Hence, if SAS EVM is querying or updating the database, you will naturally find those multiple processes to postgres

Contributor

Posted in reply to JuanS_OCS

Thanks JuanS,

Is there any way to check what is there in WIP db? Does it contain the transactions that we make in Metadata or it contains something else?

Also among these processes , what all processes we should consider when we will check if EVM is up and running fine?

As I told earlier I want to set up automated SAS service restart job and I want to make sure all services came up properly after restart.

Trusted Advisor

[ Edited ]

Hello @suchismita,

WIP contains several databases and different kinds of data. If you are really interested and keen to learn more about it, you can find official information at http://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=bimtag&docsetTarget=p1wm2vva6wgsynn11oa4hxibn9b5.htm&docsetVe... , but honestly, for your specific question you probably do not need to pay much more attention to it now, just as general information, always positive.

To answer your question, please read my contribution at below's link. You can ignore the comments for Windows

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Customer-Intelligence/System-and-application-shutdown-and-startup...

But you can rely on the sas.servers script or the tool provided by SAS Technical Support:

http://ftp.sas.com/techsup/download/ts-tools/external/SASTSST_UNIX_installation.sh

Contributor

I was downloaded that script , http://ftp.sas.com/techsup/download/ts-tools/external/SASTSST_UNIX_installation.sh and tried to open it in notepad, I did not find it readable.

Right now I am using sas.servers with proper parameters  in  an unix script.

Apart from checking sas.servers status , is there any other way to validate that all services are up.

Frequent Contributor

Hi @suchismita,

sas.servers script should be enough to validate that all your sas services are UP and running.

You can use the same in your script for auto restart.

Hope this helps.
Contributor

I already added that sas.servers status to my script.

One more thing is like after giving sas.servers start command , how many secs i should wait and then check the status?

the sas.servers it self has some sleep secs in between the different services . After that also I have given a sleep of 240 secs.

Is there any other way , please suggest? 

Trusted Advisor

Hello @suchismita,

this will depend a bit on several aspects.

- What is your SAS maintenance level?

- How many SASServerX_1 do you have? And which ones?
- What SAS solution or solutions do you have?

- Do you have clustered metadata? I guess not, but just to be sure.

Contributor

Hello @JuanS_OCS,

Please find the answers in bold.

- What is your SAS maintenance level? 

9.4 (TS1M4)  - Is it the correct answer that you are looking for.

- How many SASServerX_1 do you have? And which ones?

We just have 1 and that is SAS Web App Server SASServer1_1
- What SAS solution or solutions do you have?

Below are the SAS solutions we currently have.

SAS Web Infrastructure Data Server 
SAS Metadata Server 1 
SAS Object Spawner 1 
SAS CONNECT Spawner 1 
SAS DIP Job Runner 1 
SAS JMS Broker 
SAS Cache Locator Service ins_41415 
SAS Web Server 
SAS Web App Server SASServer1_1 
SAS Environment Manager 
SAS Environment Manager Agent 

- Do you have clustered metadata? I guess not, but just to be sure.

No we do not have clustered metadata. How you guessed it correctly? Smiley Happy

Trusted Advisor

Hi @suchismita,

thank you for the information. Starting 9.4 M3, SAS is able to start WIP services (up to Web App Server SASServer1_1 if you have more than one Web App Server SASServerX_1, within 3-5 minutes, but you have deployed all web apps on a single SASServer1_1, so that is why it is uncertain yet how to estimate the startup time.

The part of the solution (SAS Office Analytics, SAS Visual Analytics, etc etc) it is not very clear to me yet.

Could you list the directories within /conflig/Lev1/Web/WebAppServer/SASServer1_1/sas_deploy?

Thank you in advance,

Kind regards.

Contributor

Hi JuanS_OCS

Trusted Advisor

Hello @suchismita,

put the check in 10 minutes after start the sas.servers script. That should be sufficient in case your server is healthy.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 3 in conversation