BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ardobbins
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

I"m new to the SAS Platform. I've recently been brought on to be a Platform Administrator. I've been tasked with troubleshooting 2 problems with our SAS deployment as of right now.

One is, our E-Miner platform has been running slow, giving us green check marks as everything is ok, rejecting data, and not giving any output.

Our other problem is, when running scheduled jobs overnight in EG, some the same jobs processing the same data has started to run 2-3 hours longer.

What are some steps I can take to start resolving these issues?

Thanks!

21 REPLIES 21
MargaretC
SAS Employee
Can you share with us SAS logs from either example? Preferrably with the following SAS statements added to the start of the SAS process?
OPTIONS FULLSTIMER SOURCE SOURCE2 MSGLEVEL=I MPRINT NOTES;
PROC OPTIONS GROUP=MEMORY;
PROC OPTIONS GROUP=PERFORMANCE;
RUN;
LIBNAME _ALL_ LIST;
PROC OPTIONS OPTION=WORK;
PROC OPTIONS OPTION=UTILLOC;
RUN;
DATA _NULL_;
%PUT This job started on &sysdate at &systime;
RUN;

ardobbins
Obsidian | Level 7
Attaching to the job in E-Minor and should have something today.

Attaching to one of the jobs that runs over night so we will have it in the logs the next time it runs slow.
ardobbins
Obsidian | Level 7

Attached is from the E-Minor Job.

Thank You!

MargaretC
SAS Employee

Thank you for the short SAS log that gives me the output from thestatements I had you add to the EM project. 

There are lots of LIBNAME statements to Oracle.  Are the steps that are running slow (which are not included in the SAS  log you sent) accessing any of these libraries?  If so, your slowness may be coming from extracting data from Oracle. 

Again, a SAS log showing the steps that are running slower is needed.

Cheers,

Margaret

ardobbins
Obsidian | Level 7

LOL - My apologies. I didn't preview the attached. I'm having the user run a big job and send over the logs tomorrow and I will attach again.

Thank You!

Reeza
Super User

You're also running a lot over networks, check your network performance.

ardobbins
Obsidian | Level 7

Attached is the log file from E-Miner. 

Reeza
Super User

There didn't seem to be anything in the code related to EM, albeit it's long and I may have missed something. 

If you're running this on EM maybe you can move it to a full SAS installation to see if it's faster. 

ardobbins
Obsidian | Level 7

More information on the problem --- All the boxes on the modules get green check marks as the program ran correctly but there are no results are generated. Would screen shots help? 

Reeza
Super User

The results are tables. The final table should be in the tt library. La_all I think. 

Does it exist?

ardobbins
Obsidian | Level 7
Yes, that table does exist. There are several intermediate tables created during the process. No other outputs. The final result was the creation of that tt.la_alll table.
ardobbins
Obsidian | Level 7

Attahced are screenshots of what all our EMINER outputs are looking like. 

sas1.pngsas2.png
MargaretC
SAS Employee

There seems to be some IO performance issues with two different directories that you are using.  SAS WORK which is pointing to e;\WORK and TT which is pointing to \\aacadasas\cada.  Can you give me more details on what type of storage each of these file systems are pointing to?

Also, why do you have MEMSIZE equal to 75GB?  That is really high.

Cheers,

Margaret

ardobbins
Obsidian | Level 7

SAS WORK and aacadasas/dada are on the same drive just a different path.

I'm not sure about MEMSIZE. Is that set per program or is it a default in the SAS config? What would you recommend it being set to? 

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation