BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
pbad
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear team,

License is getting expired on March 03 for SAS EG. Wondering if SAS EG license is required to be renewed since we are not able to find any place for license file / SID file in our SAS EG packages.

Does it means SAS EG will not be functional after March 03 ? On another note SAS EG is not getting installed manually with expired license file, that means SAS EG packages will need the new license. So we need to create a fresh package I guess and decommision the old one. The reason for asking this question is, we do not want to spend time to create new package if SAS EG license could be updated easily.

What is your opinion ?

Thanks

Pratik

9 REPLIES 9
nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11

Hi @pbad 

SAS Enterprise Guide as such doesn't have a license since it's always licensed as part of a bigger solution. If you are only using SAS Enterprise Guide locally, it will be licensed with Base SAS on your PC, or if you are using a server, it's probably licensed with the server-side solution. Licensing schemes differ, so these are just examples. I would advise you to get in contact with your SAS Account Executive to obtain the correct licenses.

pbad
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear all,

Thanks for your answers. I do have few points to share -

1) I am not getting any message from SAS EG about sas expiration date, however the SAS Foundation installed on server side and locally was getting expired on March 03, 2019. SAS license on SAS Foundation (local + server) is already updated.

2) It is true that while installing SAS EG we need to supply license file. This is very contradictory statement. If SAS EG depends upon the Local SAS / Server SAS license than why we need to supply SAS license during the time of SAS EG installation ?

3) This SAS article 'http://support.sas.com/kb/33/359.html' says that SAS EG has build in expiration date. If SAS EG has build in expiration date than why it needs license file at the time of SAS EG installtion ?

4) We are using SAS EG 7.15 HF2 (7.100.5.6112) (32-bit). 

Thanks

Pratik

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Can't be. Enterprise Guide expiration dates are all on a December 31: http://support.sas.com/kb/33/359.html

They are not really "license" dates, as they are meant to prevent use of outdated software past it's intended use period (eg older EG's can't work with current SAS software, anyway)

What you most probably mean is the license expiration of your SAS system itself. You will receive an updated SID file as soon as you pay your license fee. Use the SAS Deployment Manager to update your SAS installation (instructions are included with your new SID file).

pbad
Obsidian | Level 7
Dear all,

Thanks for your answers. I do have few points to share -

1) I am not getting any message from SAS EG about sas expiration date, however the SAS Foundation installed on server side and locally was getting expired on March 03, 2019. SAS license on SAS Foundation (local + server) is already updated.

2) It is true that while installing SAS EG we need to supply license file. This is very contradictory statement. If SAS EG depends upon the Local SAS / Server SAS license than why we need to supply SAS license during the time of SAS EG installation ?

3) This SAS article 'http://support.sas.com/kb/33/359.html' says that SAS EG has build in expiration date. If SAS EG has build in expiration date than why it needs license file at the time of SAS EG installtion ?

4) We are using SAS EG 7.15 HF2 (7.100.5.6112) (32-bit).

Thanks
Pratik
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

When installing SAS client products (including EG) with the SAS Deployment tools, you might be asked for the SID / license file as part of the process.  However, EG itself does not rely on this license.

I'm curious about what you're seeing that leads you to the idea of EG license expiring.  Can you add a screenshot?

Adding @CaseySmith in case he has more context to offer.

SAS Hackathon registration is open! Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world.
pbad
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi All,

I am sorry for being late for everyone's reply. It was a great involvement from all of you. There was no warning or error from SAS EG, however since we update license on yearly basis so we had to analyse all the SAS softwares and their license expiration. We created new SAS EG package so the issue got solved.

Thanks

Pratik

SASKiwi
PROC Star

EG deployment packages (eg SCCM) contain the SAS server licence. All you need to do is to update the licence file in the deployment package and you should be good to go. 

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

As others have hinted, I think you might be seeing the "Your SAS license is expiring" message that EG displays when you connect to a SAS server.  EG itself is not expiring -- just the SAS instance that you're connecting to.

The proper way to address is to obtain a new SID file (SETINIT) from your SAS contacts, and then apply this using a SAS command or via the Renewal tool (on Windows SAS).  If you're part of a larger organization with many SAS users, this is definitely an admin task that requires the proper privileges.

SAS Hackathon registration is open! Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world.
CaseySmith
SAS Employee

As others have mentioned, EG itself is not expiring with the license. EG is not under direct SETINIT license control.  EG does have built-in expiration dates (for the purpose Kurt noted), whose dates are noted by version in the SAS Note (http://support.sas.com/kb/33/359.html) you found.

I wanted to point out one mistake currently in that SAS Note. It currently says version 7.1 expires in 2020. That is not correct. EG 7.1x (7.1, 7.11, 7.12, 7.13, and 7.15) all have a built-in expiration date of December 1, 2035. I have requested that SAS Note be updated with the correction.  UPDATE: The SAS Note has now been corrected.

Casey

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 6 in conversation