Architecting, installing and maintaining your SAS environment

SAS EG folder navigation

Contributor

SAS EG folder navigation

HI Experts,

I am a SAS admin on my environment. Our servers are on Linux (We do not want to use symbolic links).

I want users should see their own folders in Enterprise guide instead of seeing all that Linux folders from root dir.

I tried SASApp - Logical Workspace Server > SASApp - Workspace Server > properties  > Options  > Advanced option  > File Navigation 

Here , it just have 3 options but I need to set up a file navigation in such a way that  a particular group of user will see some folders and another group of people will see some other folder.

It is like mapping the file navigation parameter dynamically , so that it will be different for   different user groups.

Is this doable without creating additional server component?

Re: SAS EG folder navigation

Posted in reply to suchismita

What version of SAS do you have? Do you have SAS/Grid? Because if you do, you can customise things like Grid options, config options on a per-user or per-group basis.

Personal plug: Here's a paper I presented on SAS Grid Options sets at SAS Global Forum:

Easier Platform Administration using SAS v9.4 Grid Option Sets

Alternatively, what operating system do you have (Windows, Unix, Linux, etc)? Because it is possible to apply user-specific (and for some operating systems, group-specific) restricted options - such as folder locations.Note: These are operating system users and/or group, not metadata users and/or groups.

Have a look at the "Restricted Options" chapter in the following guides:

Please let us know how you get on.

Contributor

Posted in reply to AndrewHowell

Thanks @AndrewHowell,

Unfortunately,  We are not in SAS Grid, So I will not be able to use the the 1st option.

Moving to alternative option, We are on Linux OS.

I was going through the docs provided by you  (Configuration Guide for SAS 9.4 Foundation for UNIX Environments).

Here can you give me a brief idea like how these options are going to impact the folders that a user can browse in SAS EG.

Is there anything to do in 

SASApp - Logical Workspace Server > SASApp - Workspace Server > properties  > Options  > Advanced option  > File Navigation 

And while creating the  global, group, and user config files, will I just copy the !SASROOT/sasv9.cfg  file or I need define some specific parameters. 

Please suggest.

SAS Employee

You could also change the user's home directory in /etc/passwd and/or $HOME and then point the workspace server to the user's home directory. By setting the user's home directory as you need it, might get you what you need.

Contributor

hi @nhvdwalt

If I will set user's home path to some other path , then that may create a problem as the user will have his config and some other startup files in his home path. Even if I set this , how will I manage work space server navigation path ? Please suggets.

There is particular directory , let's say /projects_dev/x/y/z and another directory let's say /projects_prod/x/y/z.

What I want is one group of users should see /projects_dev/x/y/z and another should see /projects_prod/x/y/z in SAS EG.

Both of these groups should not be able to browse from root directory (/). 

Then another group will be there , who will see everything starting from root.

SAS Employee

What config files would your users need in their $HOME directories ?

I'm guessing here...but to dynamically set the $HOME variable for every user, I would include some if-then-else logic in WorkspaceServer_usermods.sh

As stated in my previous post, restricted options will allow you to set group-based options (for example, one SASINITIALFOLDER location for one O/S group, a different SASINITIALFOLDER location for another).

Chapter 2 – Restricted Options

SAS 9.4 Foundation options can be “restricted” by a site administrator so that once they are set by the administrator; they may not be changed by a user. An option can be restricted globally, by group, and by user. To restrict an option, it must be added to the appropriate SAS 9.4 Foundation configuration file. This file must have the permissions set by the administrator so that it cannot be updated by users. The option files are processed in the following order: global, group, and user.
If an option is specified in multiple files, the last occurrence is used.
Global Restrictions
Create the file !SASROOT/misc/rstropts/rsasv9.cfg and add options to this file in the normal config file format.
Group Restrictions
Create a file of the following format: !SASROOT/misc/rstropts/groups/group-name_rsasv9.cfg
and add options to this file in the normal configuration file format.
Example: For user smith in the group staff: the file name would be staff_rsasv9.cfg

Reference: Configuration Guide for SAS® 9.4 Foundation for UNIX Environments

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation