BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Aasth
Quartz | Level 8

We are trying to uninstall and reinstall SAS 9.4 on windows for a user but when we try to open the Deployment Manager the program doesn’t open up (with no errors). We also cannot get Renew SAS Application to open up. The user has two SASHome folder on the 32 bit and 64 bit architecture but SAS EG is the only component installed in the 32 bit. Please let us know what steps can be taken to completely uninstall the software?

There is also no response when we try to uninstall SAS from Control panel.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
michele_sas
SAS Employee

Hi @Aasth 

Here is a SAS note about how to work around this error: 

40012 - SAS® Deployment Wizard or SAS® Deployment Manager for SAS® 9.2, SAS® 9.3, or SAS® 9.4 fails ...

If you tried the steps in this note already and that didn't work it might be that the software installed is not from a SAS 9.4M4 or later order.  Then in that case you would need to modify the launcherargs in your sasdm.ini file and change -Xmx1024M to -Xmx512M. 

If you aren't sure you can show us from the sasdm_<datetime>.log  what is the entire string after INFO: Launcher::Run::start::launcherargs= 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
ballardw
Super User

You may need to run Deployment Manager with Admin permissions if you haven't done so already.

Aasth
Quartz | Level 8

I do have admin permissions and I tried running it as an admin too. It still does not work.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

There are a few SAS notes about this. Probably the most useful one is this:

https://support.sas.com/kb/37/352.html

I suggest you follow the instructions for SAS 9.4.

The most likely reason why the deployment manager wont open is because an incompatible version of Java has been installed. 

Anand_V
Ammonite | Level 13

Hi @Aasth 

Can you try to launch the sasdm.exe using command line? Make sure the command line session is started by selecting "Run as administrator".

Also, do you see any logs at the location - C:\Users\<Replace-Your-User-ID-Here>\AppData\Local\SAS\SASDeploymentWizard

Mukesh1
Calcite | Level 5

Hi @Aasth 

I had same issue.Below worked for me.

Launch the sasdm.exe using command line.Make sure the command line session is started by selecting "Run as administrator"

cd C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASDeploymentManager\9.4

Launch the sasdm.exe using -javaoptions i.e sasdm.exe -javaoptions "-Xmx512M"

This should launch the sasdm.

drdataking
Fluorite | Level 6

I have used the command line .\sasdm.exe -javaoptions "-Xmx512M" but DM still not launched. Could you help me? Thanks a lot.

michele_sas
SAS Employee

Hi @Aasth 

What does the sasdm_<date-time>.log file say?  You can find the log here:

C:\Users\<userid>\AppData\Local\SAS\SASDeploymentWizard\

if you don't see the AppData folder it is hidden and you can use the steps here to show hidden folders:

View hidden files and folders in Windows (microsoft.com)

drdataking
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you, the error log is as follows.

Mon Apr 11 10:48:25 2022
ERROR: ExeProc::ExeandDisplay::GetStdHandle::NULL=183
Mon Apr 11 10:48:25 2022
INFO: ExeProc::ReadFromPipe=Standard output
Error occurred during initialization of VM
Could not reserve enough space for object heap
Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.

michele_sas
SAS Employee

Hi @Aasth 

Here is a SAS note about how to work around this error: 

40012 - SAS® Deployment Wizard or SAS® Deployment Manager for SAS® 9.2, SAS® 9.3, or SAS® 9.4 fails ...

If you tried the steps in this note already and that didn't work it might be that the software installed is not from a SAS 9.4M4 or later order.  Then in that case you would need to modify the launcherargs in your sasdm.ini file and change -Xmx1024M to -Xmx512M. 

If you aren't sure you can show us from the sasdm_<datetime>.log  what is the entire string after INFO: Launcher::Run::start::launcherargs= 

drdataking
Fluorite | Level 6
SMU Classification: Restricted

Thank you very much. I modified the launcherargs in sasdm.ini file and
change -Xmx1024M to -Xmx512M. It works now.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 7 in conversation