Architecting, installing and maintaining your SAS environment

SAS/Connect for PC Files

Trusted Advisor

SAS/Connect for PC Files

I would like some information about the PC Files server that is utilized on 64-bit machines with for example the DMBS=EXCELCS option in proc export/import.  Installation, setup, etc...

Thanks for the new forum!

PROC Star

SAS/Connect for PC Files

Hi,

In terms of configuration and administration, I would start out by looking in the SAS/ACCESS(R) 9.2 Interface to PC Files: Reference, Second Edition under LIBNAME Statement and Pass-Through Facility on Linux, UNIX, and 64-Bit Microsoft Windows and then PC Files Server Administration.

Cheers

Paul

Frequent Contributor

SAS/Connect for PC Files

In addition to what Paul Homes indicated:

From experience please take notice of the following Usage Notes:

35064 Network drives are not recognized by the SAS® PC File Server when the server is installed as a service

41060 The EXCELCS and PCFILES engines do not support the GETNAMES= and MIXED= options

The syntax when using EXCELCS is basically as follows:

PROC EXPORT

DATA = <SAS Dataset>

OUTFILE = <Excel file>

DBMS = EXCELCS

REPLACE ;

SERVER = <server name> ;

PORT = <portnumber> ;

SSPI = YES ;

RUN ;

PROC IMPORT

OUT = <SAS Dataset>

DATAFILE = <Excel file>

DBMS = EXCELCS

REPLACE ;

SERVER = <server name> ;

PORT = <portnumber> ;

SSPI = YES ;

RUN ;

We use SSPI=YES to allow Integrated Windows Authentication as described on this page.

Trusted Advisor

SAS/Connect for PC Files

If I understand this correctly what I have read, I will need to install the PC Files Server onto a machine running windows that has odbc drivers for excel and/or whatever other source I hope to utilize.  Since I have no machines that run windows I suppose I am out of luck on this one at the moment.  Fortuneatly though I was only asking for information purposes and have no need for the functionality at this point Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

SAS/Connect for PC Files

Yip if you are running SAS on a real operating system like Unix or Linux, you wil need a seperate Windows server with SAS/Access for PC files to enable the SAS Server to read and write to Excel, MS Access etc via ODBC.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation