BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
FriedEgg
SAS Employee

I would like some information about the PC Files server that is utilized on 64-bit machines with for example the DMBS=EXCELCS option in proc export/import.  Installation, setup, etc...

Thanks for the new forum!

4 REPLIES 4
PaulHomes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi,

In terms of configuration and administration, I would start out by looking in the SAS/ACCESS(R) 9.2 Interface to PC Files: Reference, Second Edition under LIBNAME Statement and Pass-Through Facility on Linux, UNIX, and 64-Bit Microsoft Windows and then PC Files Server Administration.

Cheers

Paul

Resa
Pyrite | Level 9

In addition to what Paul Homes indicated:

From experience please take notice of the following Usage Notes:

35064 Network drives are not recognized by the SAS® PC File Server when the server is installed as a service

41060 The EXCELCS and PCFILES engines do not support the GETNAMES= and MIXED= options

The syntax when using EXCELCS is basically as follows:

PROC EXPORT

DATA = <SAS Dataset>

OUTFILE = <Excel file>

DBMS = EXCELCS

REPLACE ;

SERVER = <server name> ;

PORT = <portnumber> ;

SSPI = YES ;

RUN ;

PROC IMPORT

OUT = <SAS Dataset>

DATAFILE = <Excel file>

DBMS = EXCELCS

REPLACE ;

SERVER = <server name> ;

PORT = <portnumber> ;

SSPI = YES ;

RUN ;

We use SSPI=YES to allow Integrated Windows Authentication as described on this page.

FriedEgg
SAS Employee

If I understand this correctly what I have read, I will need to install the PC Files Server onto a machine running windows that has odbc drivers for excel and/or whatever other source I hope to utilize.  Since I have no machines that run windows I suppose I am out of luck on this one at the moment.  Fortuneatly though I was only asking for information purposes and have no need for the functionality at this point Smiley Happy

ShaneGibson_OptimalBI
Fluorite | Level 6

Yip if you are running SAS on a real operating system like Unix or Linux, you wil need a seperate Windows server with SAS/Access for PC files to enable the SAS Server to read and write to Excel, MS Access etc via ODBC.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation