BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
brendanodwyer
Fluorite | Level 6
So my colleagues and I have gotten GRID fully installed with a single metadata server and single mid-tier server, but when we reinstalled and tried to cluster the mid tier we hit a snag on the install which I'm guessing is related to a more general question that we have had; should the SAS-Installation and SAS-Configuration directories be shared across the whole group of machines?

Currently we have both installed in a location in UNIX shared across all nodes in the cluster at /sas/ under SASConfig and SASHome, so that each node can see the configurations and binaries of each other node. Is this how we should set it up? I have scoured piles of documentation looking for how to set this up correctly and have only found one vague reference?
7 REPLIES 7
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

According to the Grid Manager Administration course notes, the following is required to be stored on a shared file system:

• Non DBMS data (SAS data set files and others)
  • LSF cluster and config files
  • SAS config files
  • SAS checkpoint restart files
  • Deployed SAS jobs
  • EG/Add-in for MS Office temporary files

Since the SAS config directory contains at least SAS configs and deployed jobs, I think the conclusion is that you should place the configuration directory on the shared file system.

Data never sleeps
brendanodwyer
Fluorite | Level 6

So we are sharing all of those currently, what i want to know is whether or not we should share the Lev1 directory amongst the tiers. We tried to install all of them under the same area, and hit nothing but problems.

kcpython
Obsidian | Level 7

I'm curious about this too.  I'm building a Grid and have shared storage.  I was under the impression that SASConfig was on the local machine. Not the shared storage.  Or is the just the SASConfig directory of the SAS Applications/Grid Nodes and not the other meta and middle nodes?

MargaretC
SAS Employee
Only the config files for the mid-tier applications have to be local. Everything else can be on a shared file system.
kcpython
Obsidian | Level 7

Interesting.  I wonder if this was causing some issues as I was installing config files for all servers locally.  Anyway, SAS is currently rebuilding my plan files, so, I'll keep this mind though. Thanks!

brendanodwyer
Fluorite | Level 6

So that helps us with how we can configure the underlying storage. So if i understand you correctly, we can share all of SASHome where SAS is installed across every node in the cluster, but for SASConfig only share this directory(technically a separate mount for this to work) with the Compute Tier and Metadata Server. For the Mid-Tier it should be able to see the /SASHome where the installs are, and each /SASConfig should be local to each node.

Do you have documentation that says how to configure the Mid-Tier in this way? I have looked at all the documentation that i can find and cannot find any documentation referencing your recommendation.

Timmy2383
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
It can be either, it depends on your particular needs and environment design.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 5 in conversation