BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
tausendSASsa
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

i am about to do a initial configuration of an SAS Installation on a Windows Server 2016. At Stage 12 - "Load Content" the ERROR Appears.

In the server.log of the Environment Manager it says, that the insert into the EAM_KEYSTORE table in the EVManager database was aborted because the column "CERT_CHAIN" is too small with varchar(10000). I thought maybe it is possible to change the datatype for the column "CERT_CHAIN" because the chain has more than 15000 characters. So i changed the create table statement in the db-upgrade.xml in the SAS Home directory of the Environment Manager.

Unfortunately, after i started another try to initially configure the SAS Installation the datatype for the column remains varchar(10000), and the insert fails again. And again the ERROR at Stage 12 appears.

Anyone experienced something like this before? I assume that the Certifcate Chain is too long for the standard SAS Table Settings. Is there another File where i can define the datatype for the EAM_KEYSTORE Table before the configuration, so that the Chain can get inserted? I already tried to insert the Values manually, that worked - but after klicking "Retry" the ERROR appears nethertheless.

Without SSL the Configuration works fine.

Best Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
tausendSASsa
Fluorite | Level 6

I forgot about my question... but better late than never. I did a workaround with SAS, as it seems there is no proper way to configure ssl initially with my certificate chain. I had to configure ssl with a self-signed certificate, then manually change the size of the certain db-field in the postgres db. At the end I had to replace my self-signed certificate with my certificate chain using the SAS Wizard and therewith I implemented the certificate chain after Installation.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Best Regards.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11

We've also encountered this a couple of times. Unfortunately, usually due to time constraints, we have to skip this step and try and investigate later.

Would be keen to see the outcome here.....

tausendSASsa
Fluorite | Level 6

I forgot about my question... but better late than never. I did a workaround with SAS, as it seems there is no proper way to configure ssl initially with my certificate chain. I had to configure ssl with a self-signed certificate, then manually change the size of the certain db-field in the postgres db. At the end I had to replace my self-signed certificate with my certificate chain using the SAS Wizard and therewith I implemented the certificate chain after Installation.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Best Regards.

sasfeld
Calcite | Level 5

who did you work with at sas and what did you have to change in the DB? I am facing a similiar issue during deployment with the latest m6 release and i did not see this in earlier versions.

Shawn

Technolero
Pyrite | Level 9

I received the same error "failed to create initial ev User and Role" installing 9.4M5 in a non-SSL environment. The error was thrown because all of the PostgreSQL connections were in use. I edited the <sasconfig>/Lev1/WebInfrastructurePlatformDataServer/data/postgresql.conf file and changed max_connections = 256 to max_connections = 512 and the issue was resolved.

sasfeld
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for the quick reply! I am installing with SSL, but I will give the max_connections change a try. If not, then maybe I will need to deploy non-ssl and then convert to SSL.

tausendSASsa
Fluorite | Level 6

@SASuser19 

@sasfeld 

I do not remember the exact details, but i can try to look it up in my Documentation. I would recommend to work with the SAS Support in this issue, as you are changing the configuration in the metadata for SAS.

You have to install SAS with a self-signed certificate if you want to install it with SSL. After the installation you have to connect to the postgres database with the SAS Database User. You can use the pgAdmin Client, which is installed with the SAS Software. Then you have to find the certain table and field  which saves the certificate chain. After that you can change the datatype for the field with a sql statement and therfore change the length for the string you can save in the table-field.

Now you can use your certificates for the chain and just deploy them with the SAS Deployment Manager.

Best Regards

SASuser19
Quartz | Level 8

@tausendSASsa 

I am facing the same issue so could you please let me know how to do that "then manually change the size of the certain db-field in the postgres db"

Technolero
Pyrite | Level 9

@SASuser19:

I edited the <sasconfig>/Lev1/WebInfrastructurePlatformDataServer/data/postgresql.conf file and changed max_connections = 256 to max_connections = 512 and the issue was resolved.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 6 in conversation