BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
m_oversteyns
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi, at our company I'm in charge of automating our SAS 9.4M3 installations by SMS/SCCM. I've been reading various papers and user's guides about the DW and its command line arguments.

I know the following arguments are no longer supported in SAS 9.4M3: -skipadmin and -provision (Setup.exe throws an error that they are invalid)

But the following options do not throw an error and setup starts correctly:

-noreboot

-skipadmincheck

I'll be installing the sytem requirements first, separately, no reboot, and immediately after that, launching the Deployment Wizard.

Do these arguments, noreboot and skipadmincheck, still matter? Are they still required for a correct deployment using SCCM?

Thank you for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @m_oversteyns,

I would definitely keep using those options, specially the noreboot option. In that way, since some components (as .NET Framework) might require a reboot, you will be more in control of your deployment. So my answer would be: yes, they still apply. But it is not because this is SAS, it is because the dependencies on some Microsoft components, which require a reboot to make them fully available.

Is this helping you on any way?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @m_oversteyns,

I would definitely keep using those options, specially the noreboot option. In that way, since some components (as .NET Framework) might require a reboot, you will be more in control of your deployment. So my answer would be: yes, they still apply. But it is not because this is SAS, it is because the dependencies on some Microsoft components, which require a reboot to make them fully available.

Is this helping you on any way?

m_oversteyns
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi Juan,

Yes, your answer helped me. I'll leave them in. Since setup.exe does not complain, they won't do any harm either.

It surprises me that these command line options are not mentioned in the Deployment Manager 9.4 User's Guide. I suppose these options are SAS-insider information only...
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Excellent @m_oversteyns, glad to read it is useful for you!

Well, indeed, but there is a reason behind it is not documented: unless you know exactly the impact of using those options, sometimes better not to know (by my own experience). So there is some information that SAS is glad to share. of course, but unly under a specific requirement. I don;t know the exact reasons behind, but that is what I would do as well for any product I create.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation