BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
mlogan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi All, 

I am in a position to make a decision if I should go for SAS 9.4 or SAS Analytics Pro. Price is not a problem for me. Can you guys suggest me which one has more functions and features. If they are same, why they list two different product then?

Thanks,

8 REPLIES 8
Reeza
Super User

SAS Analytics Pro is a bundled package, it seems intended for small businesses or consultants, in my opinion.

In general, with SAS you're going to license components as well, even with SAS 9.4.

For example, you'll highly likely want

SAS/ACCESS to PC Files -> a way to interact with Excel/Access files.

Other commonly used modules, in no particular order:

SAS IML - > Matrix language operations

SAS STAT -> Stat procedures

SAS/OR -> Operational Research type questions, optimization, scheduling falls under here

SAS/ETS -> Economic and Time Series Modeling procs.

SAS/GRAPH -> Graphing procedures

SAS Interface to ODBC -> ability to connect to servers

SAS Analytics Pro consists of Base SAS, SAS/STAT, SAS/Graph. It's a pretty basic package and you'll likely want more than that IMO.

If you're doing things like neural networks, MBA, ensemble models and data mining you may also want SAS Enterprise Miner. If you're dealing with Text Analytics, you'll want to add on that component. 

It really comes down to what you need though, and talking to a SAS sales rep is your best bet.

mlogan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Reeza,

Do you mean SAS 9.4 have all the features of SAS Analytics pro plus some additional feature??

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Just saying "SAS 9.4" will tell you only what version of SAS you are referring to. SAS is as @Reeza said module based. The only required module is Base SAS. Than you can add modules of choice, depending on your requirements and preferences.

SAS Analytics Pro is a bundle, designed to meet many basic needs by minor SAS shops, with statistical/analytical users.

What are your requirements? What kind of analysis do wish to perform? Are you a single user at your organization?

Speaking with a SAS sales representative is at some stage is a must (or any SAS allocated reseller).

Data never sleeps
Reeza
Super User

As @LinusH indicates, SAS 9.4 is a portion of SAS Analytics Pro, and it may be better to explain what you're going to use SAS for so we can recommend what you need.

sharan0629
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

When we have installed SAS Base, do we also need to pay for all the additional modules separately?

Reeza
Super User

@sharan0629 you should talk to your SAS sales representative. If you did not purchase beyond SAS Base you would not have access to the modules. 

You can check what's licensed vs installed with the following:

proc setinit;run;

proc product_status;run;

sharan0629
Calcite | Level 5

@roc product_status@Reeza , thanks for your reply.

I had a look at proc setinit and proc product_status outputs. please let me know if my understanding is correct.

proc setinit gives us the licensed product and proc product_status gives us the installed products. Is it?

Reeza
Super User
Yes, that’s correct.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation