BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
bheinsius
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi,

My client creates nightly VMWare snapshots of his 4-machine SAS 9.4 environment.

Does this suffice?

Bart

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MargaretC
SAS Employee

The Metadata server repository data that you are backing up they way you are backing it is not reusable.  So when you go to restore the data after a incident, the restored data will be reported as corrupted by the SAS Metadata repository.  SAS clearly states this in our SAS Disaster Recovery Policy https://support.sas.com/en/technical-support/services-policies/disaster-recovery-policy.html  Please read this document thoroughly.  

Also, you can not reuse any SAS data files in SAS WORK.

And any SAS data file that is open for update (with a .lck extention) cannot be accessed with a new SAS session.

Let us know if you have more questions.

Margaret

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16
If they are completed, and they include memory status, and they are full snapshots, yes. But they will occupy a lot of disk space, of course

If they are completed, full snapshots, and they don't include memory, they are enough only if you they are completed while SAS services are down (since some are in-memory).

Additionally, if you have configured SAS Deployment Backup and Recovery tool, and it works and you have an internal SAS backup prior to the snapshot, you would have a backup as well, even if SAS services where runing but you will need to spend extra time recovering the SAS metadata, content server and WIP database.
MargaretC
SAS Employee

Possibly...   The first question I have for you are all you SAS data files closed before you do the snapshot, especially the SAS Metadata server repository.  Please review this paper to make sure you understand what needs to be backed up and what does not need to be backed up.  https://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings17/SAS0565-2017.pdf

bheinsius
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

The first question I have for you are all you SAS data files closed before you do the snapshot, especially the SAS Metadata server repository.  

No they are not. I read there is an option to include the memory in the snapshot. Does that suffice?

MargaretC
SAS Employee

The Metadata server repository data that you are backing up they way you are backing it is not reusable.  So when you go to restore the data after a incident, the restored data will be reported as corrupted by the SAS Metadata repository.  SAS clearly states this in our SAS Disaster Recovery Policy https://support.sas.com/en/technical-support/services-policies/disaster-recovery-policy.html  Please read this document thoroughly.  

Also, you can not reuse any SAS data files in SAS WORK.

And any SAS data file that is open for update (with a .lck extention) cannot be accessed with a new SAS session.

Let us know if you have more questions.

Margaret

thesasuser
Pyrite | Level 9

Hello
VM ware snapshot saves the entire status of the machine.
A few years back (2014 to be precise) , for implementing a change, I had backed up my metadata servers using a VMware snapshot and recovered it later without issues. I had made sure that users had closed their sessions before taking the backup.

Experiences may vary depending upon the detail.

The point is, there are scenarious where it will be useful.

Coming to your case,with my past experience, SAS can be recovered but open user sessions may have issues.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation