BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Prab
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

now i could see the library definitions.

i checked one library proprties and authorizations there. compared with DEV environment.

But i didnt find any difference ...As you know this issue not perticuler to one library..this is across libraries under Library manager.

I am using SAS 9.4 M2 release version.

anja
SAS Employee

Good morning,

there has been a lot of great info, and you seem to have done quite some tests. If you don't mind, let me take a shot and summarize what we have so far, maybe narrowing it down will help us all to get a new perspective, idea.

Problem:

In Library Manager, looking at a library's properties, in the data base server info tab, the field that is supposed to have database info stored, is empty, and SASMC hangs.

Is this a correct understanding?

You do encounter this problem in one environment (Prod?Dev?Test?), but not in the other?

What is the difference between both:

Are they both running on the same SAS version and SAS maintenance release?

Are all environments using one and the same Oracle Server?

As - in mulitple environments - the Metadata Server is different, and therefore, libraries etc are different, could you do a right click

on the library, Display libname statement, in both environments to see if there are any significant differences?

Next, right click on that lib again - Edit Assignment. Are both definitions assigned to the same DB?

Does this happen with Oracle dbms libraries only, or do you have any other DBs you could test this with?

If we'd keep data base server def out of the picture, generally speaking, can you generally look at the properties in all tabs, for all libraries (including BASE)? I am interested if there might be a general problem with SASMC properties on libraries in general, and am wondering if SASMC hanging on the db serv def is just a random thing.

As a test, you ran lib statements against Ora from within EG and DI, with no problems, correct?

In case you have not increased the logging trace for SASMC, would you mind doing so and send the log file that's being created

after testing the behavior again?

Exist SASMC.

Close SAS Management Console on the local host.

Open the file sasmc.ini and add the following Java argument:

JavaArgs_xx=-Dcom.sas.workspace.logging.debug=true

(xx is the next available Java argument number)

(By default JavaArgs_16 is empty and can be used)

Example:

JavaArgs_16=-Dcom.sas.workspace.logging.debug=true

Modify the last line to look like:  

MainClass=com.sas.console.visuals.MainConsole -debug -serverLog -consoleLog 

Then from a command prompt:

For a Windows console:  

<sashome>\SASManagementConsole\9.4\sasmc_console.exe -debug -serverLog -consoleLog > smcout.txt

(creates the file ) smcout.txt.

For unix: 

<sashome>/SASManagementConsole/9.4/sasmc_console -debug -serverLog -consoleLog > smcout.txt

This will create a Standard out file to smcout.txt or wherever you point.   In addition there will be files in the

%appdata%\SAS\SASMangementConsole\9.4 subdirectory:   SASMCErrorLog.txt and SASMCServerLog.txt

On UNIX the file will be in ~/.SASAppdata/SASManagementConsole/9.4

So once the logging level has been changed, logon to SASMC and recreate the steps until SASMC hangs.

Could you please send smcout.txt,  SASMCErrorLog.txt and SASMCServerLog.txt files?

It is a good practice to make a back up copy of the sasmc ini file to be sure you'll have a good file to fall back on just in

case.

Also, and that's really just a shot in the dark, could you provide the metadata server log and object spawner log after reproducing?

What 9.4 maintenenace release are you running?

Hopefully this will help to narrow it down a bit more.

Thanks

Anja

Prab
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

now i could see the library definitions.

i checked one library proprties and authorizations there. compared with DEV environment.

But i didnt find any difference ...As you know this issue not perticuler to one library..this is across libraries under Library manager.

I am using SAS 9.4 M2 release version.

Anja: I will get back to you on your questions.

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

@anja: thanks a lot for the summary and the set of questions, really great help.

@Prab: I won't ask or propose anything else for now, I think it is good if you can focus on one set of questions/proposed actions at a time, and the ones from @anja are good ones. What I would like to mention, is that you need to chech authorizations of the server definitions, not the library definitions.

Prab
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you both.

Please find my answers next to your questions.

Good morning,

there has been a lot of great info, and you seem to have done quite some tests. If you don't mind, let me take a shot and summarize what we have so far, maybe narrowing it down will help us all to get a new perspective, idea.

Problem:

In Library Manager, looking at a library's properties, in the data base server info tab, the field that is supposed to have database info stored, is empty, and SASMC hangs.

Is this a correct understanding? Correct.

You do encounter this problem in one environment (Prod?Dev?Test?), but not in the other? Yes.

What is the difference between both:

Are they both running on the same SAS version and SAS maintenance release? Yes.Same Version for all stages.

Are all environments using one and the same Oracle Server?Yes. (Each DEv PROD has their own schema)

As - in mulitple environments - the Metadata Server is different, and therefore, libraries etc are different, could you do a right click

on the library, Display libname statement, in both environments to see if there are any significant differences? I checked. No diiference found.

Next, right click on that lib again - Edit Assignment. Are both definitions assigned to the same DB? Yes,

Does this happen with Oracle dbms libraries only, or do you have any other DBs you could test this with? We have only oracle. It happends with oracle.

If we'd keep data base server def out of the picture, generally speaking, can you generally look at the properties in all tabs, for all libraries (including BASE)?
 I am interested if
 there might be a general problem with SASMC properties on libraries in general, and am wondering if SASMC hanging on the db serv def is just a random thing.

I can able to check all tabs for other DBs..like base sas. This is issue appearing only when i check oracle DB.

As a test, you ran lib statements against Ora from within EG and DI, with no problems, correct? Yes. No isues.

In case you have not increased the logging trace for SASMC, would you mind doing so and send the log file that's being created

after testing the behavior again? Yes I can..Send you below details.

Exist SASMC.

Close SAS Management Console on the local host.

Open the file sasmc.ini and add the following Java argument:

JavaArgs_xx=-Dcom.sas.workspace.logging.debug=true

(xx is the next available Java argument number)

(By default JavaArgs_16 is empty and can be used)

Example:

JavaArgs_16=-Dcom.sas.workspace.logging.debug=true

Modify the last line to look like: 

MainClass=com.sas.console.visuals.MainConsole -debug -serverLog -consoleLog

Then from a command prompt:

For a Windows console: 

<sashome>\SASManagementConsole\9.4\sasmc_console.e​xe -debug -serverLog -consoleLog > smcout.txt

(creates the file ) smcout.txt.

For unix:

<sashome>/SASManagementConsole/9.4/sasmc_console -debug -serverLog -consoleLog > smcout.txt

This will create a Standard out file to smcout.txt or wherever you point.   In addition there will be files in the

%appdata%\SAS\SASMangementConsole\9.4 subdirectory:   SASMCErrorLog.txt and SASMCServerLog.txt

On UNIX the file will be in ~/.SASAppdata/SASManagementConsole/9.4

So once the logging level has been changed, logon to SASMC and recreate the steps until SASMC hangs.

Could you please send smcout.txt,  SASMCErrorLog.txt and SASMCServerLog.txt files?

It is a good practice to make a back up copy of the sasmc ini file to be sure you'll have a good file to fall back on just in

case.

Also, and that's really just a shot in the dark, could you provide the metadata server log and object spawner log after reproducing? OK.

What 9.4 maintenenace release are you running? SAS9.4 M2

Hopefully this will help to narrow it down a bit more.

Prab
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, I have reproduced your suugested scnario.

Please find the atached SASMCErrorLog.txt & Metadata Server log after applied changed & restart SMC.

But I didnt find SASMCServerLog.txt .
Also, Object Spawner log..I didnt get you..As we are executed this in Meta. I didnt see any spawner here. PLease correct me.

FYI: When I perform below..I got out of mem error see below.

/opt/sas/sas94/SASManagementConsole/9.4 $ /opt/sas/sas94/SASManagementConsole/9.4/sasmc_console -debug -serverLog -consoleLog > smcout.txt
       0|INFO   |e.folderview.visuals|Log                    |initLogging : Logging initialized, level = INFO
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
        at java.nio.HeapCharBuffer.<init>(HeapCharBuffer.java:57)
        at java.nio.CharBuffer.allocate(CharBuffer.java:331)

NOTE: I am unable to attach files.

The attachment SASMCErrorLog.txt is too large and has been removed. 

Prab
Calcite | Level 5

Both files are too big..36MB and 15MB.

Not sure how to send you.

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi, maybe you can zip the files before attaching. I think it might be sufficient.

Prab
Calcite | Level 5

Here are the attachments

Prab
Calcite | Level 5

Metadata Serverlog attachement is here.

Prab
Calcite | Level 5

We got a breakthrough in SMC 9.4 -Unresponsive issue !!

I just tried with tripled the current JAVA Memory settings. Now I could see Dataserver tab properties from Metadata Server ONLY. (not from AVC SAS SMC Client !!)

ZZZ001:/opt/sas/sas94/SASManagementConsole/9.4/sasmc.ini

WAS:

JavaArgs_1=-Xmx1024m

JavaArgs_2=-XX:MaxPermSize=128m

NOW:

JavaArgs_1=-Xmx3072m

JavaArgs_2=-XX:MaxPermSize=384m

Note: I have tried with SASADMIN and my bensl unrestricted account. It was working fine for both users. But it was very slow.

Any idea, why it was not showing from our Desktop AVC SAS SMC Cliet ?? from metadata server it was opening fine...

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi,

I think SAS Management console has a limit of memory to be assigned. I believe to remember that the limit is on 2 GB (2048).

Otherwise, if the limit is exceeded, SMC it won't even open.

Prab
Calcite | Level 5

hi,

OK...We are discussing this topic with our Virtaul Packages team (SAS AMC PAckage should have more memory).

i hope this will resolve soon.I will keep you updated regarding status.

Now it is clear that issue with Java Memory.

Thank you so much all..for your great support.

i hope this will resolve soon.I will keep you updated regarding status.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 57 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 5 in conversation