BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
rameshs
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi All,

I am trying to reinstall and configure the existing SAS 9.4 Middle Tier Environment due to missing folders in the 1st installation. I didnt face any problem during reinstall but while doing reconfiguration iam getting errors like configuration failure(below msg)....

1st Error Msg..

==============================================

The following problem was encountered while configuring SAS Foundation Services:

Metadata Deployment failed - /sas/SAS94W/SASFoundationServices/9.4.Config/Deployment/Metadata/JPSFolder.xml

INFORMATION:Metadata Deployment process started at Tue Jul 21 14:37

INFORMATION:The following object did not meet the restriction IsUnique (SAS Foundation Services)

Configuration script:

/sas/SAS94W/SASFoundationServices/9.4/Config/jps_config.xml

For more information,see the log file located at

/sas/config/Lev1/Logs/Configure/jps_configure_2015-07-21-14.37.13.log

=======================================

2nd Error Msg:-

========================

The following problem was encountered while configuring SAS Web Infrastructure Platform:

Error getting Properties due to an invalid identifier for: SAS Foundation Services

Configuration Script:

/sas/SAS94W/SASWebInfrastructurePlatform/9.4/Config/webinfpltfm_config.xml

========================

1. I have followed "removing existing configuration" from SAS Deployment Manager

2. Removed config directory manually.

But still iam getting the errors, while reconfiguring..so did i miss any step here..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jag_SAS
SAS Employee

rameshs,

it sure seems like something didn't work right with your unconfiguration, unless perhaps this was the message after selecting retry. I'd want to look at some metadata in your deployment and a few logs to determine what we do next. I'd like to suggest you open a track with technical support and let them know your working with Jawna. Send to the track a tar of the logs from Lev1\Logs\Configure on the middoe tier and I'll send you some code (through the track) for the metadata extract.

One more  thing you can do on your own would be to launch SAS Deployment Manager on the middle tier again and see if any products show up in the list. If they do unconfigure them. Also run it on the other tiers/machines and make sure you don't see Foundation Services configured somewhere else. It's usually on the middle tier, but doesn't have to be.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
jag_SAS
SAS Employee

Hi ramesh. You cannot reconfigure over an existing configuration. The message you are getting is because metadata for Foundation Services already exists in the metadata repository. There are also some middle tier products that create content into the SAS Web Infrastructure Platform Data Server and that content would also need to be removed first.To remove that metadata and the database content you must first unconfigure your middle tier using SAS Deployment Manager. After that is successful you can then configure your middle tier back in.

Be sure you have backups in place in case you need to restore the environment for any users you might have.

rameshs
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks Jag for the quick reply. Infact i have removed the existing configuration through SAS Deployment Manager but still unable to configure the SAS Middle Tier. Here are the server status from Metadata Server(1), SASAppservers(2). Is there anything that i need to stop or uninstall WIP in other servers??

SAS Metadata server:

=================

SAS servers status:

SAS Metadata Server 1 is UP

=======================

SAS Appserver1:

=======================

sas@xxxxa /sas/config/Lev1  >>>  ./sas.servers status

SAS servers status:

SAS Web Infrastructure Data Server is UP

SAS Object Spawner 1 is UP

SAS DIP Job Runner 1 is UP

SAS Cache Locator Service ins_41415 is UP

=================

SASAppserver2:

===============

sas@xxxb /sas/config/Lev1  >>>  ./sas.servers status

SAS servers status:

SAS Object Spawner 1 is UP

==============

jag_SAS
SAS Employee

rameshs,

it sure seems like something didn't work right with your unconfiguration, unless perhaps this was the message after selecting retry. I'd want to look at some metadata in your deployment and a few logs to determine what we do next. I'd like to suggest you open a track with technical support and let them know your working with Jawna. Send to the track a tar of the logs from Lev1\Logs\Configure on the middoe tier and I'll send you some code (through the track) for the metadata extract.

One more  thing you can do on your own would be to launch SAS Deployment Manager on the middle tier again and see if any products show up in the list. If they do unconfigure them. Also run it on the other tiers/machines and make sure you don't see Foundation Services configured somewhere else. It's usually on the middle tier, but doesn't have to be.

rameshs
Fluorite | Level 6

Sure Jag. I have already raised a Track with Tech support. As mentioned i will include logs and your reference details in the track.

rameshs
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks Jagna,

After providing new plan file, it went fine.

swetawasthisas
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Ramesh,

I am also facing the similar issue. I have done following:

1. Installed and configured SAS Middle Tier

2. Unconfigured Middle tier 

3. Deleted Let1 Folder in middle tier

4. Installed SAS in Middle tier

5. Tried Reconfiguring SAS in middle tier.It is giving error of voiled IsUnique (SAS Foundation Services) 

6. I am t tring to unconfigure Middle tier, It is giving error for dependent componnet which no more exists to be removed.

Will it be possible for you to share some toubleshooting steps you followed.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

My guess is you will need to stop your complete SAS environment while you do this because updating metadata on your SAS metadata server is necessary to remove your mid-tier definitions.

swetawasthisas
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Jagna,

I am also facing the similar issue. I have done following:

1. Installed and configured SAS Middle Tier

2. Unconfigured Middle tier 

3. Deleted Let1 Folder in middle tier

4. Installed SAS in Middle tier

5. Tried Reconfiguring SAS in middle tier.It is giving error of voiled IsUnique (SAS Foundation Services) 

6. I am t tring to unconfigure Middle tier, It is giving error for dependent componnet which no more exists to be removed.

Kindly suggest

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @rameshs@swetawasthisas,

please re-read the kind indications provided by Jawna ( @jag_SAS ).

The configuration of the middle tier is delicate because, besides creating the services and the configuration folders/files (and windows registry keys on windows), it also registers metadata in the SAS metadata server, and it fills in the internal WIP database. 

If you are not able to rollback every change, you cannot re-configure the middle tier. it won't work.

Therefore, your deployment framework has to include a way to rollback every SAS server from your deployment to de desired state (just before the middle tier configuration). 

If your servers are virtualized, the best option is to have a full snapshot, at the exact time, of every server (and dependant resource, e.g if SharedServices database is on an external database, that one willr equire abackup/snapshot as well), preferably with all services stopped. It is not required that it would include the state of the memory.

Other option is to have a full backup from every server, at least from your Config/LevX folders. Again, with all the services stopped previously. 

So only if you get such a framwork you will be able to rollback and re-try the configuration of middle tier intead of removing all the configuration from every SAS tier and redeploy the configuration from scratch.

If you do not have a way to rollback to the required state, you will need to remove every SAS configuration tier and start again, sorry. As far as I know, there is no other way to ensure quality on your installation.

Does it help?

Kind regards,

Juan

swetawasthisas
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Juan,

Thanks for the quick response.Unfortunately we donot have backups to roll back, but fortunately users are not there to use sas server so we can go with complete configurations again on each tier. Kindly help me understands steps involved in uninstalling and unconfiguring other tirs as well as i am not able to unconfigure Midtier at present.

Regards,

Sweta

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @swetawasthisas / Sweta,

Pleasure!

Are you deploying SAs on Windows or Linux? 

You can try first with the SAS Deployment Manager to remove your Configuration level on each machine. You should not require to remove the binaries if succeds.

If you find troubles with the SDM, you will need to go to the manual actions, and I would recommend to reinstall the binaries, because the SDM is a set of binaries and it records your configurations. 

If it is Linux, it is quite easy:  just delete the Config/lev1 folder and/or the SASHOME folder containing your binaries.

On Windows, it is a bit more complicated, because it required to delete the services (with sc delete command line) and the Windows Registry keys ( http://support.sas.com/kb/37/352.html ).

Once all is removed, then you can re-install. And my recommendation for you is to try to ensure a way to rollback scenario, to make re-deployments quicker for you.

Kind regards,

Juan

swetawasthisas
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Juana,

I was able to bring server to the rollback point and recongifured it. thaks for your help.

Regards,

Sweta

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @swetawasthisas / Sweta,

glat to read that, excellent news. Pleasure!

Kind regards,

Juan