Architecting, installing and maintaining your SAS environment

SAS 9.4 M3 in Amazon Web Services (AWS)

Occasional Contributor

SAS 9.4 M3 in Amazon Web Services (AWS)

I recently migrated my organizations SAS production environment to Amazon Web Services (AWS) and although I particularly enjoy the flexibility cloud-based virtualization offer for OS and application management, the storage is something less desired. To be frank, AWS storage, whether gp2, io1, hdd, softnas, etc, are not suitable for SAS workload, or any application that required fast iops. So my question is directed to those who have made the jump to the cloud (speaking in board terms and not just AWS). What recommendations do you have regarding storage? Is there something suitable to test that will help get better throughput? I've spoken with AWS EBS developers (with one of my favorite SAS engineers - Margaret Crevar) and it seemed as if they don't have a solution in sight. I asked them for dedicated storage channels like ephemeral, but persistent. 

Thanks for any feedback!

Frequent Contributor

Re: SAS 9.4 M3 in Amazon Web Services (AWS)

There has been a webinar on Shared File Systems of which the recording is available through the communities.

Personally I found that very informative due to the number of tips on storage and throughput, both in- and outside the cloud.
Occasional Contributor

SAS Employee

The webinar is not applicable to Amazon. It is only applicable to on-premise hardware infrastructures.

Occasional Contributor

Posted in reply to MargaretC

Hi Margaret - thanks!

Have you heard anything back from Amazon? I also haven't heard if the ephemeral issue with the i3.* RHEL machines is fixed yet. 

SAS Employee

Yes, the ephermal issues with the AWS EC2 I3 have been resolved.  

You need to use RHEL 7.3 and apply yum update -security to get the fix.  Or you can use RHEL 7.4 which has the fix in it.

Frequent Contributor

Yes indeed that's the one I meant although I later realized you already been in touch with Margaret Crevar
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation