BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
MantleTrek
Calcite | Level 5

Thought I was nearly there and then the final step errors out. Can anyone make sense out of this?

Mar 1, 2012 11:33:11 AM com.sas.ssn.Chaining installNext

INFO: Stage #1 Step #163 (SAS Install Qualification Tool)

Mar 1, 2012 11:33:11 AM com.sas.ssn.InstallToolConnector execute

INFO: Return Code: 0

Mar 1, 2012 11:33:11 AM com.sas.ssn.Chaining launchInstall

FINE: Install script not found: C:\Program Files\SASHome\InstallMisc\utilities\installqual\9.3\instqualtool_install.xml

Mar 1, 2012 11:33:12 AM com.sas.ssn.Chaining installNext

INFO: Stage #1 Step #164 (Install Post Processing)

Mar 1, 2012 11:33:12 AM com.sas.ssn.Chaining launchInstall

INFO: Hiding overall progress bar prior to post-processing because execution is complete

Mar 1, 2012 11:33:14 AM com.sas.ssn.InstallToolConnector postProcess

INFO: Return Code: -1

Windows 7 32-bit. Let me know if more info would be helpful.

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Without knowing more about your SAS installation, my guess is you probably did not run the SAS installation qualification process prior to installing SAS itself. If this is correct, then your script is telling you that it couldn't find an XML file that would have been installed as part of the qualification process. If this is the only install problem encountered then you can probably assume SAS installed OK. Does SAS open and run OK?

MantleTrek
Calcite | Level 5

Yes, it installed and runs fine. The same command on other machines built identically completed without errors:

setup.exe -partialprompt -provision -noreboot -nomsupdate  -responsefile  "C:\Full_Install\SAS_responseFile.txt"

I don't see anything about a 'qualification process' in the manual: http://support.sas.com/documentation/installcenter/en/ikdeploywizug/64204/PDF/default/user.pdf
It just describes making a Response File and then playing back that Response file. Can you please elaborate on what you're referring to?

MantleTrek
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the link. Maybe I'm missing something but to me it looks like the Qualification Tools are intended to be run after deployment. I'm not clear how this post-installation step is relavent to an automated installation failure code.

My problem was solved by manually reinstalling SAS. On the other 8 target machines I ended up running the install manually. Looking through the forums, there doesn't seem to be much support for troubleshooting automated deployment issues other than "open a case with SAS technical suopport." I hope I don't run into further difficulties or have a need for a SAS installation solution that 'just works.'

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I think you are correct - the link refers to post-installation qualification tools. I was thinking about the pre-install check SAS does to ensure the operating system has the correct maintenance etc.

I suspect you are correct regarding automated deployment issues. Good luck!

Sunshine_sas
SAS Employee

Hi there,

The post processing can fail for several reasons - please look at the following SAS Note regarding this issue. Tech Support and R&D are working on a regbld tool like we have had in the past that will help with this in the future. They will be updating this SAS Note when its ready

http://support.sas.com/kb/45/523.html

Best Regards, Sunshine :smileygrin:

MantleTrek
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the response Sunshine. I've since rebuilt the machine and performed the installation manually so can't check the IT_[date].log files as suggested in the link, but from reading the possible causes in the link you shared it seems to me that this isn't related to what I experienced. Water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned at this point.

Cheers!

Sunshine_sas
SAS Employee

Glad that you are up and running!

Take care, Sunshine :smileycool:

UFGator
Calcite | Level 5

Sunshine,

The temporary fix: "The workaround for this scenario is to implement the provisioning software installation package routine to use an account that is a local administrator account rather than use the SYSTEM account. For example, you can have an installer account that is an account on every machine in the Administrator group. Also, you can have a domain administrator account with the domain admins group included in the local administrator group. Using either of these accounts resolves the installation failure issue."

Is not doable in SCCM that I know of unless you involve some VBS or batch file. SCCM allows you to run with user rights or administrator rights. In this case the administrator rights use the system account for elevation of priviledges.

Any guidance?

Sunshine_sas
SAS Employee

Hi UFGator,

Sorry for the delay in response. The workaround is the only way I know of.

I do not have any exampes of the VBS or batch file that you mentioned. If you find a way to do this using the SCCM, please share it out here.

I have not seen any way around this

Best Regards, Sunshine

UFGator
Calcite | Level 5

Sunshine,

I ended up doing another work around which is not ideal but it works. I identify the person needing SAS9.3. I then have a software push from SCCM 2007 based on a user group. I then make the end user administrator of their computer during the approxiamately 45 minutes it takes to push SAS9.3. I have my GPOs setup such that when they apply it takes the user added to administrators back out. When the person restarts their computer they are no longer administrator. I use the following command for SCCM:

setup -partialprompt -provision -noreboot -nomsupdate -responsefile sdwresponse.properties

I hope this helps someone trying to deploy 9.3.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation