BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SASWayne
Quartz | Level 8

Hello,

I have renewed license of our SAS 9.3M2 grid environment using the SAS license renewal utility for SAS 9.3 and we can see the new license expiry date in SAS foundation and SAS EG. However, SASGSUB shows the license expiry notification still.

Could someone help with this issue?

Thanks in advance! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASWayne
Quartz | Level 8
I know this is a very delayed update - the issue was fixed with the help of SAS Support. We had to launch the deployment manager using the JRE option that points to the java path within SASHome via command line and then updated SID file to metadata.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Which SAS server did you run the utility on? All SAS App server nodes and the SAS metadata server would need their licences updated.

SASWayne
Quartz | Level 8
I applied license on Metadata and grid nodes as well using the renewal utility. Also, from SAS EG, I don't see the license expiry notification.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Are you by any chance using IBM's Platform Process Manager for grid management? If so that has a separate licence and renewal process.

SASWayne
Quartz | Level 8
@SASKiwi
Yes, we have IBM platform process manager. I have placed the new license.dat under ppm\conf network path and started LSF services. Is there any additional step to be performed for SAS 9.3?
SASKiwi
PROC Star

@SASWayne  - The PPM licence file also needs to be copied to the LSF conf folder.

SASWayne
Quartz | Level 8
yes, I have placed it under lsf conf as well.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

@SASWayne  - That's all you need to do for PPM AFAIK. Best to open a Tech Support track if you haven't already. There are probably not too many SAS sites still running Grid 9.3. 

gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
Was the license updated on the host where SASGSUB is being run?
--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer
SASWayne
Quartz | Level 8
Hi ,
We use citrix to run client applications from where we use sasgsub. We haven't applied any license in citrix.
I tried to submit proc setinit; through SASGSUB from the grid server itself where we renewed SAS license and still see license expiry notification in the command prompt. However, the output log for the job shows new expiry date. This seems weird.
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
Looks like SASGSUB (SAS Grid Manager Client Utility) uses the SID file in Metadata:

Usage Note 49750: To extend the expiration date for particular SAS® solutions and products, you must perform the "Update SID File in Metadata" task
https://support.sas.com/kb/49/750.html
--
SASWayne
Quartz | Level 8
Hi @gwootton
Thank you for the link. I think there is the catch. When I tried update sid file in Metadata, I see an encountered error message from the deployment manager which is pointing out to cfgwizard_config.xml in one of SAS deployment manager's subfolders. It also points out a log file within Lev1\logs\Configure to know more information, unfortunately, I cannot find the log in specified path. I have raised a SAS track for this as well, wish someone could pick it up quickly.
Do you have any idea about the error message?
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
Do you see any logs in the path that correspond with your attempt? Does the Event Viewer have any corresponding errors? Does your execution user have permission to write to that log path?
--
doug_sas
SAS Employee

SASGSUB will look in metadata for the license or it can use a license file via the GRIDLICENSEFILE option.

The license in metadata is updated via the SAS Deployment Manager's 'Update SID File in Metadata' option under the 'Administrative Tasks' task group.

Make sure you are updating the license in metadata for the metadata server that SASGSUB is pointing to in its SASGSUB.CFG file. The config file is in the <config>/<LevX>/Applications/SASGridManagerClientUtility/9.3 directory which should be the same location that the sasgsub script is run from.

SASWayne
Quartz | Level 8
I know this is a very delayed update - the issue was fixed with the help of SAS Support. We had to launch the deployment manager using the JRE option that points to the java path within SASHome via command line and then updated SID file to metadata.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation