BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Mikehe
Calcite | Level 5

Here at the State of Texas, I am trying to figure out how to upgrade a group of users that have 9.2 installed already to 9.3 and cant seem to get the 9.2 utility wizard to work on win xp boxes, can any send me some ideals on how to upgrade them. Thanks

Mike

4 REPLIES 4
Mark_sas
SAS Employee

The method of upgrading from 9.2 to 9.3 varies based on the product set involved.  I'm not sure what utility wizard you're referencing (perhaps the SAS Migration Utility?), but you'll find a good deal of generic upgrade information at http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/whatsdiff/63859/PDF/default/whatsdiff.pdf.

In general, if you're upgrading desktop users of SAS Foundation products from 9.2 to 9.3, you typically uninstall the former and install the latter.  While it is possible to do side-by-side Windows XP installs of SAS, things can get sticky w.r.t. filetype associations (e.g., which SAS you want to come up when you double-click a .sas file).  The move from 9.2 to 9.3 is not considered an "in-place" upgrade, meaning if you leave 9.2 around, you need to install 9.3 to its own location.  Note that SAS Foundation-only installs (i.e., those not involving a metadata server) do not require the SAS Migration Utility.  That utility is used to package up metadata and other configuration and data files stored on servers to be used as input to a subsequent run of the SDW to create a new SAS environment.

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

nickb
Calcite | Level 5

Just recently we did the upgrade from 9.2 to 9.3 and I had the users completely remove all the 9.2 compotents and install 9.3 using a response file that I created.  I created a batch file that would call the 9.2 uninstall wizard.  This was a great way to quickly remove all 9.2 stuff http://support.sas.com/kb/39/894.html.  Once all 9.2 competents were removed they would run a batch file that would call the response file and would add all the 9.3 stuff.

Mikehe
Calcite | Level 5

are you able\willing to share the batch file that you created. seems like that will clean up a lot, i see under our users Program Files\SAS they even have a 9.1 folder, no wonder this is a mess.

nickb
Calcite | Level 5

Basically, I just created a batch file that everyone has access to and is in the same directory that the unistall wizard was unpacked.  The unistall tool is very slick.  Everytime you run the tool it will create a .bat that can be used again (kind of like a response file).  The uninstall wizard has several parameters that can be specified.  Below is what I used:

--below is an example if using the default home directory (e.g. C:\program files\SAS\....

java -cp .\sas.tools.suw.jar;.\sas.tools.deploymntreg.jar;.\sas.tools.deployjni.jar;.\sas.tools.viewregistry.jar;.\log4j.jar com.sas.tools.suw.SUW -v

--below is an example of non default home directory

java -cp .\sas.tools.suw.jar;.\sas.tools.deploymntreg.jar;.\sas.tools.deployjni.jar;.\sas.tools.viewregistry.jar;.\log4j.jar com.sas.tools.suw.SUW -v -sashome "D:\Program Files\SAS"

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation