BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Pale
Calcite | Level 5

We are about to move the local file servers of a 2 person company to a cloud based environment and we were wondering how much would the latency of OneDrive affect the users with their current 12/2mb connection. I can't say for sure which SAS product they are using other than it's called 'SAS 9.1.3' and they are using it for data analysis.

Another question arose when we were creating local accounts for the users. Does SAS 9.1.3 require admin rights to run some of its components or does it work perfectly fine without a hitch with basic user accounts as well?

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
SASKiwi
PROC Star

If you are using Onedrive for the storage of SAS data then I would expect it to be significantly slower for reading / writing than a local file server. Only testing will confirm if the slowdown is acceptable or not. I'm assuming that SAS is installed locally perhaps on PCs - is this correct?

SAS does not usually need admin rights to run.

BTW SAS 9.1.3 is a very old release - over 10 years old. The support level was downgraded to C back in 2013:

http://support.sas.com/techsup/support.html#non-current

It will also not run on more recent operating systems like Windows 10. Perhaps time to consider an upgrade (it is free)? 

Pale
Calcite | Level 5

Yes the SAS software is installed locally on the client computers. We will have to test it out then.

The client said he would be willing to update the software in case it was needed, but I'm not really in a position to make the decision for him if it isn't necessary as I have zero knowledge of this software.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I suggest you simply point out to him the support situation with SAS 9.1.3. It is his choice whether to upgrade or not. Installing SAS on PCs is not much more complicated than installing other PC software. The only tricky bits are if SAS is connecting or accessing other databases or servers. If your SAS installations are totally standalone then it is easy.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation