BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
avvy
Quartz | Level 8

Hi All,

Can somebody please let me know that if it is feasible to have 32GB of RAM per core for SAS Visual Analytics,  whereas SAS Reccomends 16GB of RAM per core. I would like to know if at all can I allocate 32GB of RAM per core for VA, does it voilate any licensecing agreement of SAS?

i.e. License we are having for SAS VA (8 Core License):

8 Core * 16GB RAM= 128GB RAM(SAS Recommends)

whereas, I want to have

8 Core * 32 GB RAM= 256 GB RAM.

I can not find any document by SAS where they are restricting the user to have more RAM than recommended by SAS.

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

Abhishek Pathak

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi,

there is not restrictions on how much additional RAM memory to allocate, just suggestions to improve the performance of SAS VA.

For questions related to sizing, I would advise you to contact your SAS account manager so they can send your request to the SAS Excelence center to determine the proper sizing for your requirements.

Some questions they will probably make to you, I suggest you to have this information ready for them in advance:

- Number of heavy and light users (heavy user = report designer/analyst or heavy reports consumer; light user= normal report consumer)

- Total amount of SAS data (uncompressed) you plan to load into VA.

- Size of the biggest table you plan to load.

- Speed of your CPUs in casethat you have got already that hardware.

- and other questions

Best regards,

Juan

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi,

there is not restrictions on how much additional RAM memory to allocate, just suggestions to improve the performance of SAS VA.

For questions related to sizing, I would advise you to contact your SAS account manager so they can send your request to the SAS Excelence center to determine the proper sizing for your requirements.

Some questions they will probably make to you, I suggest you to have this information ready for them in advance:

- Number of heavy and light users (heavy user = report designer/analyst or heavy reports consumer; light user= normal report consumer)

- Total amount of SAS data (uncompressed) you plan to load into VA.

- Size of the biggest table you plan to load.

- Speed of your CPUs in casethat you have got already that hardware.

- and other questions

Best regards,

Juan

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Licensing is by core only. You can have any amount of RAM and it doesn't affect the licence.

The amount of memory is governed by the amount of data you want to load. 128GB will allow you to load tables up to that total.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

If you have VA in a virtual environment, it should be fairly easy to test.

Generally speaking, increasing memory should not affect performance negatively -as such.

But, with more memory, you are likely to load larger data sets, which in turn requires more CPU power to process.

So at the end of the day, SAS recommendation may be the best price (HW)/performance alternative

Data never sleeps

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation