Architecting, installing and maintaining your SAS environment

Postgresql connection unix

Frequent Contributor

Postgresql connection unix

We bought SAS/ACCESS for sql and for oracle on unix in order to read data from SQL and oracle databases..

However now we want to connect to a Poistgresql database. Is there a easy way of doing that via these without spending more money on SAS/access modules?  we want to connect via out UNIX server from PC EG. Thanks in advance.

Trusted Advisor

Re: Postgresql connection unix

Hello @ANLYNG,

my best suggestion would be to change your SAS/ACCESS license to ODBC. THen you can connect to as many databases as they have ODBC drivers. Of course, this would have an impact on your library definitions and you won't have in-database process support, but if you don;t use in-database processes, you won;t lose much.

In any case, please bear in mind that these communities are mostly based on experiences, and most of us are not part of SAS, therefore question related to the licenses are better supported by the SAS team. I would strongly recommend you to contact SAS Technical Support or your account manager at SAS, they will be happy to support your question.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Juan

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm currently an admin juggling multiple SAS/ACCESS interfaces.  Like JuanS_OCS

SAS Employee

As a configuration developer for SAS, I've seen less and less ODBC and more SAS/ACCESS. These days, our 9.4 based solutions use SAS/ACCESS to PostgreSQL extensively. It is an excellent product and I personally recommend it. However, if price is your driver, ODBC is more generic.
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the answers. It is a bit surprising that SAS not out-of-the-box reads postgresql as we have enablet APM

and as I know it reads information from an internal postgresql database ?

SAS Employee

I don't know which products you have licensed. If SAS  Web Infrastructure Platform is the only product using an instance of SAS Web Infrastructure Platform Data Server, as you describe, it may not come with SAS/ACCESS to PostgreSQL. I believe that product accesses its data via direct JDBC. I would have to check the packaging overview for any specific product to see if it comes with ACCESS to PostgreSQL The SAS Solutions that I've been working with do to support DBMS access using SAS Libraries. The SAS/ACCESSS license may have a usage restriction for use with that product only. Tech Support can probably help you interpret your licensing structure.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 4 in conversation