BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up our SAS VA server, I think I'm nearly there but having a few frustrating issues, hope somebody can help. (Basically I'm way out of my depth)

If I log into the VA hub with the sasadm user it lets me in but won't allow me to access the sample data. I can see the data sources but it tells me its not avialble and to contact admisitrator. (I cant see the library I added at all though)

If I try to log in as a normal user I get a message saying that public users are not allowed to access, however I have granted every permission possible to the user under "groups and roles" in user manager.

I guess I'm missing something obvious, hoping someone can help 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@itchyeyeballs wrote:

Thank you,

I dont have access to those docs at the moment, (I'll contact my account rep to sort out).

I guess its probably related, I followed the advice in another post and tried to register and update tables in manage environment but got

"The user "SAS Administrator" could not log on to the server "SASApp - Logical Workspace Server". No valid identity could be found for the authentication domain "DefaultAuth"."

The SAS Administrator (sasadm@saspw) does not have a match in the operating system (by default). It only exists in SAS metadata.

Since the SASApp Workspace Server is started for each user individually, it needs an operating system account that provides permissions for creating the WORK directory, and a HOME location where a SASUSER library etc is created/found.

So you can't start a non-pooled wokspace server with sasadm@saspw.

You need to supply credentials that

- exist in the operating system

- have an entry in metadata where the operating system account ist stored in the "Accounts" tab in the SMC User Manager, with Authentication Domain "DefaultAuth"

The sasadm account is created solely for administration of metadata, not for working with SAS.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
dpage
SAS Employee
Public user makes it sound like you're authenticating against the backend OS, but it's not looking up properly to a User in metadata (particularly one that's granted a Visual Analytics role)

The 'Adding Users' section of the Visual Analytics Administration Guide should give the right steps (both for which Visual Analytics groups you need membership too, and a link into the Intelligence Platform doc about adding users)

http://support.sas.com/documentation/solutions/va/73/en/vaag.pdf
itchyeyeballs
Pyrite | Level 9

Thank you,

I dont have access to those docs at the moment, (I'll contact my account rep to sort out).

I guess its probably related, I followed the advice in another post and tried to register and update tables in manage environment but got

"The user "SAS Administrator" could not log on to the server "SASApp - Logical Workspace Server". No valid identity could be found for the authentication domain "DefaultAuth"."

Anything I should check? 

Back story - I'm not a tech, we have had SAS VA for 18 months but not implimented (bought but no budget for implimentation - dont ask!). I'm new to organisation and trying to build a case to get a budget by getting some real world demos up and running, have spent 3+ weeks working through install issues, feel like its very close but cant get past this problem.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Could it be that your sasadm account is not also set up as an OS user account (Windows / Unix?). It needs to be set up as an OS account to be able to logon to your SAS App server.

itchyeyeballs
Pyrite | Level 9
Hi,
Its windows.
The account is set up in windows, it's the account I use to log into the VM that is running SAS
Really appreciate the help!
SASKiwi
PROC Star

In that case check that the user account has "log on as batch job" permission for the SAS App server.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@itchyeyeballs wrote:

Thank you,

The SAS Administrator (sasadm@saspw) does not have a match in the operating system (by default). It only exists in SAS metadata.

Since the SASApp Workspace Server is started for each user individually, it needs an operating system account that provides permissions for creating the WORK directory, and a HOME location where a SASUSER library etc is created/found.

So you can't start a non-pooled wokspace server with sasadm@saspw.

You need to supply credentials that

- exist in the operating system

- have an entry in metadata where the operating system account ist stored in the "Accounts" tab in the SMC User Manager, with Authentication Domain "DefaultAuth"

The sasadm account is created solely for administration of metadata, not for working with SAS.

itchyeyeballs
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks for the help guys,

I have a better idea now around where I was going wrong (especially whilst trying to use sasadm incorrectly). I have changed the permisions and now seem to be making some progress.

One of my problems is that we have 2 licence files, I can only find how to apply one at a time so some aspects of the functionality are not working, I'll contact SAS about that (unless anyone knows how to apply two sid files?)

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation