BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
dwunder
Calcite | Level 5

Hello!

I am quite new to SAS and recently deployed a 9.4 environment. Everything is looking good, however the professor would like the browser output to open a local server based firefox installation on the SAS server. If I understand that correctly, you would not need the Remote Browser Server installed on the remote workstation. Does anyone know how I would point the SAS output to the local browser? The OS is RHEL6. 

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

OK, so you have the X Windows session, which has a unique display address (echo $DISPLAY). The not so funny thing is that this is completely disconnected from what Enterprise Guide or SAS Studio is doing, so we need to make that connection ourselves.

To start any application on the SAS server (outside of SAS), you need your workspace server configured to allow XCMD. Do this in Management Console / Server Manager. The (probably SASApp) Workspace Server (not the Logical ... Workspace Server) has that configuration option.

Create your output as a HTML file.

Next I'd set DISPLAY to the value from your X Windows session and then start firefox from the command line. My preferred method looks like this:

filename oscmd pipe "export DISPLAY=your_display_address;firefox html_filename 2>&1";

data _null_;
infile oscmd;
input;
put _infile_;
run;

You should at least see the system's response to your commands in the SAS log.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
dwunder
Calcite | Level 5

Wow...thanks for that! I would think you could answer your own question by looking at the subject line, but then you would not get to be so personable, huh? 

I would like for server firefox to display output. 

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Well, around here you are expected to state your questions in a clear and universally understandable way. Keep in mind that many here are not native English speakers/writers and will miss nuances.

Your answer doesn't get you merit points either.

The question I have: if you open the browser that is installed on the server, who is supposed to see its output? EG or SAS Studio has no way of routing display output back to a remote client.

Do you have a GUI session to the server active, like X Windows?

dwunder
Calcite | Level 5

Noted...

I'm not big on merit points anyway 🙂

Yes, we are using various X Server products on Microsoft Windows for the GUI session. 

Thank you for your help BTW! 

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

OK, so you have the X Windows session, which has a unique display address (echo $DISPLAY). The not so funny thing is that this is completely disconnected from what Enterprise Guide or SAS Studio is doing, so we need to make that connection ourselves.

To start any application on the SAS server (outside of SAS), you need your workspace server configured to allow XCMD. Do this in Management Console / Server Manager. The (probably SASApp) Workspace Server (not the Logical ... Workspace Server) has that configuration option.

Create your output as a HTML file.

Next I'd set DISPLAY to the value from your X Windows session and then start firefox from the command line. My preferred method looks like this:

filename oscmd pipe "export DISPLAY=your_display_address;firefox html_filename 2>&1";

data _null_;
infile oscmd;
input;
put _infile_;
run;

You should at least see the system's response to your commands in the SAS log.

dwunder
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you sir for your help. I have been redirected to another project, but have provided your instructions to the individuals in need and believe it will satisfy their request. 

MichelleHomes
Meteorite | Level 14

Thanks @dwunder for sharing your actions. Can you please mark the question as solved so others may learn from the thread in future.

Kind Regards,

Michelle

//Contact me to learn how Metacoda software can help keep your SAS platform secure - https://www.metacoda.com

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation