BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
vaishnavpranam
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I have SAS 9.4 grid implemented on a linux environment.

Recently there have been lot of issues with CPU usage in SAS.

Today i tried to trace this and found that the object spawner process is consuming a lot of CPU.

Does anyone knows why this could be happening ?

And how can this be controlled ?

I have attached a document showing details of my findings.

Thanks in advance !!

11 REPLIES 11
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

You can do yourself a favor by posting such documents (where more than simple text is needed) in pdf format. Downloading a .docx could get me fired if it contained malware.

vaishnavpranam
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi @Kurt_Bremser,

I have removed the .docx file and attached a pdf to my original post.

Thanks !!
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Have you already stopped and restarted the object spawner to see if it goes again to the same state? If yes, open a track with SAS technical support. I can't remember if I ever had a spawner misbehave like that (I had hung spawners in the past, but they were simply doing nothing, and restarting fixed it).

vaishnavpranam
Obsidian | Level 7
Restarting does fix it.
But it started behaving the same way again.
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@vaishnavpranam wrote:
Restarting does fix it.
But it started behaving the same way again.

How long does it take until it starts over-using CPU? For some processes, I have a regime of nightly restarts.

vaishnavpranam
Obsidian | Level 7
atleast 24 hrs
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

If your problem usually appears after more than a day has passed, then (as a temporary remedy) I would advise to configure a restart of the spawner via crontab, sometime in the night. But I'd still open a track with SAS TS, as this is not usual behaviour.

My spawner (AIX 7.1, SAS 9.4 TS1M2) has been running continuously since April 21, and consumed 1m50s of CPU in that time, which is negligible.

vaishnavpranam
Obsidian | Level 7
Yeah opened a track with SAS.
Lets see what they come up with.

Thanks for the advice !!
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

One thing that could be useful: look at the filesystem where the spawner (and maybe other SAS processes) write logs to. Sometimes they go into loops when they can't write to the log anymore.

(wants to write message, fails, wants to write error message, fails, wants to report that error, and so on ...)

vaishnavpranam
Obsidian | Level 7
Logs are getting updated continuously.
Dph
Calcite | Level 5 Dph
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

May I know the finding of SAS TS on this issue?

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation