BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Dorota_Jarosz
Obsidian | Level 7

I have parallel instalations of two PC SAS versions on my Windows 7 PC in separate SASHome directories. These are full installations of my licenses.

Both have SAS/Access to ODBC installed, together with ODBC drivers.

The following libname assignment works fine in 9.2 but does not work in version 9.3.

10   libname mylib ODBC DSN=oracledsn uid=myuserid pwd=XXXXXXXXX

11           SCHEMA=schema1 PRESERVE_TAB_NAMES=YES READBUFF=1000 ;

ERROR: The ODBC engine cannot be found.

ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement.

I tried substituting DSN= with datasrc= and uid= with userid= with no avail. I also tried designating separate custom SASUSER directories.

It does not matter whether the SAS sessions are concurrent or launched separately. Attempts to assign ODBC libname interactively fails as well.

Perhaps I need to tweak some environment parameters.

SAS/Access to PC Files works fine in both installations.

Any clue would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dorota_Jarosz
Obsidian | Level 7

SAS/ACCESS to ODBC is definitely in my currently applied setinit. This was a new order altogether. I opened a new track with SAS Tech support and this is exactly what they asked me to do first 🙂

Apparently Access to ODBC did not get installed, though I cannot comprehend how it had happened. The ODBC is one of the additional SAS Foundation products that my group must have.

The appropriate test was to search for a specific file:sasioodb.dll.  There was no sasioodb.dll file anywhere in my 9.3 SASHOME directory, though there were four paths with this file in 9.2 SASHOME directory.

So, the original problem was answered: ODBC did not work, because it wasn't there.

I tried to add just ODBC and ODBC Drivers to my installation.  This partially helped; that is, now the libname is working. However, now I have a different error in the log:

ERROR: The ODS initializer failed to instantiate during SAS startup.

ERROR: Exception text: Assistive Technology not found: com.encentuate.EncentuateAWTHook

Now I decided to unintall SAS and start from scratch, but I fear this is not the end. I did have a similar error in the past (about Assistive Technology not found) in version 9.2 and it was not so easy to fix.

Edit to add: I uninstalled and installed again, but the ODS error persists.

ETA 2: I expanded on the diagnostic method. I also explicitly stated that the original question was answered.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Suggest you try: PROC SETINIT NOALIAS;RUN; in SAS 9.3 to confirm SAS/ACCESS to ODBC is in the currently applied licence.

Dorota_Jarosz
Obsidian | Level 7

SAS/ACCESS to ODBC is definitely in my currently applied setinit. This was a new order altogether. I opened a new track with SAS Tech support and this is exactly what they asked me to do first 🙂

Apparently Access to ODBC did not get installed, though I cannot comprehend how it had happened. The ODBC is one of the additional SAS Foundation products that my group must have.

The appropriate test was to search for a specific file:sasioodb.dll.  There was no sasioodb.dll file anywhere in my 9.3 SASHOME directory, though there were four paths with this file in 9.2 SASHOME directory.

So, the original problem was answered: ODBC did not work, because it wasn't there.

I tried to add just ODBC and ODBC Drivers to my installation.  This partially helped; that is, now the libname is working. However, now I have a different error in the log:

ERROR: The ODS initializer failed to instantiate during SAS startup.

ERROR: Exception text: Assistive Technology not found: com.encentuate.EncentuateAWTHook

Now I decided to unintall SAS and start from scratch, but I fear this is not the end. I did have a similar error in the past (about Assistive Technology not found) in version 9.2 and it was not so easy to fix.

Edit to add: I uninstalled and installed again, but the ODS error persists.

ETA 2: I expanded on the diagnostic method. I also explicitly stated that the original question was answered.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Coincidentally we have been going through similar issues with SAS installs and adding products but not as serious as yours. Suggest you continue working with Tech Support on this. My guess is that perhaps some of the SAS pre-requisite stuff is not there, or the wrong version - Java or Microsoft stuff.

Dorota_Jarosz
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks, SASKiwi, I will continue working with SAS tech support, of course. The problem is they are gone for the day at 4 pm my time and I am a night owl 🙂

I have no clue what ODS initialization error means. I issued the "ODS graphics on;" statement and it did not produce any errors in the log. Well, to be exact, it produced nothing but the echo of the statement. I guess I need to run some graphing jobs.

What is more disturbing, after I uninstalled SAS 9.3, my SAS 9.2 stopped working; that is, the enhanced editor could not launch. Fortunately, the latter got fixed after installing 9.3 again. This however proves that the two installations are not independent of each other.

Dorota_Jarosz
Obsidian | Level 7

The problem has been resolved. For the benefit of other users I copy the solution here. It can also be found by searching the sassupport database for the ODS error listed above when launching SAS:

go to:

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_24\lib

In this directory, see if either of the following two files exists:

1. awt.properties
  2. accessibility.properties

If either of these files exist, rename them to:

1. awt.old
  2. accessibility.old

After making these changes start SAS again to check if you still receive the error.

The problem is that the accessibility.properties file gets created every time I do a SAS installation. I found two of these with yesterday's date, one with the .bak extension added and two of these corresponding to my original 9.2 and 9.3 installations, with .old extensions. In fact, the 9.3 installation backed up the file as accessibility.properties92.old. They can be open in Notepad and all contain just one line:

assistive_technologies=com.encentuate.EncentuateAWTHook

I did not find any awt.properties file.

Maybe the SAS development team should try to fix this, since I remember a similar problem with one of my users last year in version 9.2.

Anyway, this fixed my problem, so I assume I am good for a while, though feeling slightly insecure.

BTW: I did test the graphing capabilities even before fixing the properties file and my gplot worked just fine, both with ODS graphics and RTF output. i did not test the statistical sg procedures though.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 2 in conversation