BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
kannand
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

A team that I know of who is migrating from Mainframe to Unix is leaning towards using Nexus as their choice of tool for deploying SAS code to a Unix directory preceeded by RTC as a step to create a tar file package. 

Is this the best way to do it ?  The organization is looking to have sufficient controls, checks and balances and hence they are leaning towards these options which will then work with a "Change Request" that will be tied to a frozen package needing an approval. 

If there are other simpler ways to achieve the same level of controls, please share. Thanks in advance.

Kannan Deivasigamani
3 REPLIES 3
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Kannand SAS is only focussing on their SDW approach and ignoring the common in place deployment requirements.
Not matter what you are going into, this will always cause a lot of issues by misalignment.

As you should know  a SAS installation is made up of two steps

a/ the installation   that is were common deplyments tools like rpm could have their place

b/ the configuration (port dns and more) that is were comomon deployment tools are causing troubles

Ever seen a DBA RDBMS table definitions and table content getting deployed by RPM and the operational content of users be approved by change mangement? Of course not, that is is kafka like.

To start wiht Unix and SAS understand your user requirements as that level is already very bothersome because of endusers doing programming and data-processing. The unix world is often limited to run a router-like tool.
It are those processe needing the real attention to achieve something. 

The bad thing is that SAS-institute is not really helpfull as of their misalignment to common IT processes (ITIL COBIT and more).  

---->-- ja karman --<-----
kannand
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thanks for your detailed explanation.  This is exactly why,  I'm trying to find out the possible options available based on other SAS user experiences.  To me it appears like there is no straight forward tool that can be used for checking in a code to a production Unix environment requiring an approval authority. I hear of users using WINSCP and SVN but they have the copy step done manually which,  I'm trying to avoid.  Basically,  the code should be moved to production directories automatically upon approval.  Seems straight forward but haven't come across a tool that will accomplish this without added complexity. 

Kannan Deivasigamani
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

This link is showing the technical way of promotion or making a additional copy for metdatadata content.

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/bisag/68240/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p04l8c3fo8tpyhn103dp...

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/bisag/68240/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n0861tmrlv3nsen164wt...
http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/bimig/63853/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n01002intelplatform0...

Aside this the registration of what is included for this steps is not found in any available tool.

The Endevor tool doesn't have that either. The installer/configuration guy of endevor is programming all that. That is why a endevor implementation can be that costly and no many people are liking to change to that way once it has been implemented.
It makes also changes for new tools hard to come into those eco-systems.

You could define your dtap environments the way you are registrating all the objects and than connecting it to some tooling.

---->-- ja karman --<-----

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation