BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
rgreen33
Pyrite | Level 9

I have a new Linux admin that just started this week (and let me note that I too am new to SAS).  We loaded the SAS tools on his computer yesterday and I have been showing him our system.  I have LASR load jobs that need to be run anytime the server is taken offline.  I can run these jobs without any issues.  I have a backup who can run these jobs with any issues.  And, we also have another Linux admin who can run these jobs without any issues.  However, my new Linus admin is getting the following error (in the log file) when he attempts to run the LASR load jobs via Schedule Manager:

ERROR: Invalid option value /data/sasconfig/Lev1/SASApp/BatchServer/logconfig.apm.xml for SAS option LOGCONFIGLOC.

ERROR: (SASXKRIN): KERNEL RESOURCE INITIALIZATION FAILED.

ERROR: Unable to initialize the SAS kernel.

I should also not that this error ONLY occurs when he attmpts to run the jobs via Scheudle Manager.  If he goes into DI Studio, he can run the jobs successfully, without any issues.

What am I missing? 

Thanks,

Ricky

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
rgreen33
Pyrite | Level 9

I just wanted to follow-up on this ticket.  This ended up being a Linux permissions issue.  We got the new admin added to the appropriate Linux group and the problem was solved.  Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.

Thank you,

Ricky

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

My first avenue of debugging would be to log on to the server with his/her credentials (or do su - username from the root account), navigate to /data/sasconfig/Lev1/SASApp/BatchServer/, and try to read logconfig.apm.xml. If somewhere on the way you get a "permission denied", you've come a lot nearer to the solution.

alexal
SAS Employee

Make sure that he has read/write access to folder /<SASConfig>/Lev<X>/SASApp/BatchServer/PerfLogs

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@alexal wrote:

Make sure that he has read/write access to folder /<SASConfig>/Lev<X>/SASApp/BatchServer/PerfLogs

But that would make the error message from the OP seriously misleading.

rgreen33
Pyrite | Level 9
Actually, we did try that and he is able to read the file without any issues. I think that the error message is due to the fact the "LOGCONFIGLOC" option does not exist in the file...thus, the error is thrown. The puzzling thing is why, for just this one user, it is look at this file for this value? Make sense?

I may be off on my thinking here, but it seems that I am probably missing something on his configuration that is causing him to look for this file when he tries to do a "run now" from Schedule Manager.
rgreen33
Pyrite | Level 9
My previous reply was in response to @Kurt_Bremser. I have asked the user to check his access to PerfLogs folder as suggested by @alexal.

Thanks,
Ricky
alexal
SAS Employee

@rgreen33, also, are you sure that he can start Base SAS with no errors?

rgreen33
Pyrite | Level 9

@alexal,

What do you mean when you say "start Base SAS"? I am new to SAS, so I am still learning. 🙂

alexal
SAS Employee

@rgreen33 I suppose that SAS has been installed on Linux? If so run the following command:

/<SASHome>/SASFoundation/9.4/sas -nodms

rgreen33
Pyrite | Level 9
@alexal,

You are correct, SAS is installed in a Linux environment. Also, SAS is already up and running. So, should he be able to run the command that you suggested?

Thanks,
Ricky
alexal
SAS Employee

@rgreen33 he should be able to run the command even if SAS services have not been started.

rgreen33
Pyrite | Level 9
@alexal,

Thanks for the reply. We tried it on his machine and Base SAS starts (and stops) without any issues.

By the way, thanks for the info. I also looked up the commands and learned a little about Base SAS. 🙂

So, any suggestions? Like I said, it is just an issue for this new user (just installed the SAS tools yesterday). The job runs fine when he runs it from DI Studio...but throws the error when he attempts to right click on the Flow and do a "Run Now" from Schedule Manager in SAS Management Console.
rgreen33
Pyrite | Level 9
@alexal,

Also, to reply to a previous suggestion...the user did confirm that he does have access to the PerfLogs folder.

Thanks,
Ricky
alexal
SAS Employee

@rgreen33,

This problem is usually caused either by:

• Insufficient permissions on the file logconfig.apm.xml (or whatever file is specified by the LOGCONFIGLOC option)
  • Insufficient permissions on the directory where the logconfig.apm.xml file specifies to write the session logs
  • The logconfig.apm.xml file specifies a non-existent directory to write the session logs\
  • Incorrect XML syntax within the logconfig.apm.xml file.

Also, if the logconfigloc option is pointing to NAS using CIFS, you may have a file locking issues.

Anand_V
Ammonite | Level 13
Hi @rgreen33

By defualt the schedule Manager uses the "atd" service on linux to schedule the jobs, can you check if the new linux admin has this permission to run schedule jobs via the atd service on the same linux host?

Also, it would be a good try if you run the schedule command directly on the linux command line and see if his ID is able to execute it.

you can right click the job and click properties and then go to scheduling details to find the sas command that is actually executed by atd service on linux host.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
AV

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation