Architecting, installing and maintaining your SAS environment

Need to set up metadata server, but management console won't start

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Need to set up metadata server, but management console won't start

Hi I am using windows desktop SAS version 9.3 TS level 1M2 and need to setup metadata server in order to test & build java web application to interact with SAS via integration technologies. I have tried several options in SAS integration technologies configuration wizard but unable to successfully test the server.

Meanwhile I read somewhere that metadata server can be viewed/setup in SAS management console. I am unable to open SAS management console in regular mode or safe mode. Even sas deployment manager doesn't open, although deployment manager opens in windows safe mode/. I have following java versions installed.

Java 7 Update 71

Java 6 Updates 24

Java 6 Updates 45

Java 6 Updates 45 64bit

Java 6 development kit 6 update 45

Java 6 development kit 6 update 45 64bit

I have spent a lot of time trying different things but no success yet. Please help.

Thanks

Vneet

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎03-16-2015 02:54 PM
Super User

Re: Need to set up metadata server, but management console won't start

Posted in reply to vineet7878_gmail_com

The SAS metadata server can only be installed as part of a SAS BI server setup. This can be done on a single machine, even a PC as in your case. Here is a useful link to learn more:

https://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/bismig/67707/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p05ebisinglemach00...

View solution in original post

All Replies
Community Manager

For a quick resolution to a question like this, open a track with Technical Support. For information on other ways to contact Tech Support, refer to: http://support.sas.com/techsup/contact/index.html

Occasional Contributor

Posted in reply to ShelleySessoms

Thanks Shelley,

Vineet

Super User

SAS Management Console requires a working metadata server to connect to. If you don't have one, then SMC is not going to work.

Also a metadata server on its own is not much use without a workspace server plus if you are doing web-based work in SAS you will require a mid-tier server environment as well.

You appear to only have SAS 9.3 on a desktop - is this correct or do you also have access to SAS BI server as well? If you are not familiar with SAS's BI server technology then here is a good starting point to learn more:

https://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/intellplatform/tabs/install94.html

Occasional Contributor

Hi SASKiwi, I have following software installed on desktop and BI server is not one of them.

*PRODNUM000 = BASE Base SAS;

*PRODNUM001 = STAT SAS/STAT;

*PRODNUM002 = GRAPH SAS/GRAPH;

*PRODNUM119 = EGUIDE SAS Enterprise Guide;

*PRODNUM538 = WKSPSRVLOCAL SAS Workspace Server for Local Access;

I have middle tier running on tomcat server. I am able to interface SAS with VBA & JAVA directly via SAS Zero configuration server in integration technologies. I am struggling with sspiauth.dll while accessing SAS via tomcat server. It seems I don't need to worry about it while using SAS metadata server. Now I just need to metadata server to be up & running to get my same mid-tier work with SAS.. 

Solution
‎03-16-2015 02:54 PM
Super User

The SAS metadata server can only be installed as part of a SAS BI server setup. This can be done on a single machine, even a PC as in your case. Here is a useful link to learn more:

https://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/bismig/67707/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p05ebisinglemach00...

Occasional Contributor

Thanks, I am going to check licensing requirements for BI server. Meanwhile just one final question. I am unable to successfully include SAS's zero configuration server dll file - sspiauth.dll while accessing SAS via tomcat server. I have windows & x64 machine and using java 32 bit in tomcat server. Somehow it doesn't work with Tomcat server, otherwise it works directly with java. I am not sure if I am missing something. Should I contact SAS technical support to get the setup right.

Vineet

Super User

It is a good idea to contact Tech Support. Your set up is not very common so they would be your best bet.

🔒 This topic is solved and locked.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 3 in conversation