BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
woo
Barite | Level 11 woo
Barite | Level 11

Hello, i like to move sas datasets from windows to linux in bulk (*). I am not quite sure if proc cport/cimport can be used to move sas datasets in bulk. Please advise. Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
SASKiwi
PROC Star

The simple answer is yes.

An alternative method, if you have SAS/CONNECT installed on both servers is to use PROC UPLOAD which can move entire SAS libraries with one statement. UPLOAD handles the data conversion on-the-fly so you don't need CPORT / CIMPORT.

woo
Barite | Level 11 woo
Barite | Level 11

Thank you @ SASKiwi. Unfortunately, we don't have sas/connect. 

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Since both Windows and Linux use the same processor architecture, I would simply copy the files first and test them on Linux.

PROC CPORT/CIMPORT can transport whole libraries in a single file.

woo
Barite | Level 11 woo
Barite | Level 11

Thank you KurtBremser. would you please provide any doc/link to refer to transfer complete library? I see document with exporting single sas dataset. 

Quentin
Super User

I think Kurt is recommending you simply copy the files using non-SAS tools (e.g. sFTP, Samba, whatever) for copying files between the environments.  SAS datasets are just files.  You will pay a small performance price on the linux side when reading files that were written by Windows, but if that cost is too high, you can always translate / recreate the datasets on the linux side after you have moved the files.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Don Henderson presenting on using hash functions (not hash tables!) to segment data on June 12. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
ballardw
Super User

@woo wrote:

Thank you KurtBremser. would you please provide any doc/link to refer to transfer complete library? I see document with exporting single sas dataset. 

https://documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/9.4_3.4/proc/p1h7x7gvk42uv0n16apets89tmvp.htm

Change the memtype to DATA from CATALOG for only the data sets. If you leave off the memtype the default will be to export the data and catalogs.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation