BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
vamsikrishna
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi all;

I want to move SAS Software Depot to different location (Not coping). I'm know about depotcopier utility. but my question is -  Depot copier utility will completely move the original depot to different location or it will just do copy & paste? 

How can I move it to different location?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Vamsikrishna

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
shayne
SAS Employee

SAS does not recommend using operating system copy tools to move a SAS Software Depot between locations. This is not to say that using OS copy tools won't work - I understand this is often a successful method of copying depots between locations for many users - however it is not considered a best practice by SAS. 

Please take a look at Chapter 2: The SAS Software Depot > Moving SAS Software Depots in the SAS® Deployment Wizard and SAS® Deployment Manager 9.4: User’s Guide for more information about best practices for moving depots. The Depot Copy utility used FTP processes to move depots between non-networked locations. If you are moving depots between networked locations, use the SAS Deployment Wizard (SDW) to create a new copy of the depot in another location then delete the original depot. To do this, select "Create or Add to a SAS Software Depot" on the Select Deployment Task screen after launching the SDW and click through to specify the location where the new depot will be created. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SASKiwi
PROC Star

A simple OS folder copy to the new location is the way to go. Only delete the original folder when the new location has successfully copied. If you are doing this in Windows then a folder copy and folder paste in Windows Explorer is the easiest option. If using Unix then the CP command is one option. 

vamsikrishna
Fluorite | Level 6

I'm curious why SAS suggest to use utilities while coping or moving?

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The one reference to the copier utility that I could find deals with moving a SAS depot from Windows or UNIX to a mainframe, which is a very special case.

For moving a depot within an environment, mv (or cp) should suffice.

I downloaded my AIX depot to Windows, copied it to the server with WinSCP, ran chmod -R u+x on the directory, and installed from there. Worked like a charm.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

In UNIX, make sure that the target has enough space (du -sk command to determine thet current size of the depot, df command to determine available space). Also make sure that you are looged on as the SAS install user (that created the depot in the first place). Then use the mv system command. The mv will remove a source file only when the target has been successfully written, and will preserve all file attributes.

If you're moving within a physical filesystem, step 1 is not needed, and the move will be very fast, as only directory entries are manipulated.

If you want to create a copy, use cp -prh (p = preserve permissions, r = recursive, h = copy links as links).

shayne
SAS Employee

SAS does not recommend using operating system copy tools to move a SAS Software Depot between locations. This is not to say that using OS copy tools won't work - I understand this is often a successful method of copying depots between locations for many users - however it is not considered a best practice by SAS. 

Please take a look at Chapter 2: The SAS Software Depot > Moving SAS Software Depots in the SAS® Deployment Wizard and SAS® Deployment Manager 9.4: User’s Guide for more information about best practices for moving depots. The Depot Copy utility used FTP processes to move depots between non-networked locations. If you are moving depots between networked locations, use the SAS Deployment Wizard (SDW) to create a new copy of the depot in another location then delete the original depot. To do this, select "Create or Add to a SAS Software Depot" on the Select Deployment Task screen after launching the SDW and click through to specify the location where the new depot will be created. 

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@shayne - thanks for clarifying. Where I work it's Windows everywhere and I've never had any problems using OS copying with SAS Software depots. If I was moving between operating systems then I would definitely use the SAS utilities.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation