BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
KBACHU
Fluorite | Level 6

We have SAS running on windows 2012 server and using Enterprise Guide to connect to the server. I am not able to see the mapped network file shares from SAS EG > SASApp > Files. I can see the local drives on the compute server but not the mapped drives. Is there any configuration to be updated in order to see the mapped drives from EG?

Thanks,

Karthik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

In SAS Management Console you can specify a file path under Server Manager -- SASApp -- SASApp Logical Workspace Server -- SASApp - Workspace Server -- Properties -- Options -- Advanced Options:

screenshot14.jpg

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SASKiwi
PROC Star

In SAS Management Console you can specify a file path under Server Manager -- SASApp -- SASApp Logical Workspace Server -- SASApp - Workspace Server -- Properties -- Options -- Advanced Options:

screenshot14.jpg

larryn
Calcite | Level 5

I am the defacto sas admin and I'd like to users access to the unix root directory rather than just their "home" folder which appears to be the default on the management console as I learned from this post that apparantly the default can be changed. 

This would enable users to import files on the server using the import task wizard in Enterprise guide without the need to copy the file into their home directory.  Also space is very limited in home for administrative reasons.

I don't see a problem with this since we have user/group Unix access rights  defined for each user. 

Would there be any problems associated with this?  And if so could access be given to selected users?

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

On a correctly set up system, this will not pose any danger; it might be a bit inconvenient for J. Random User to navigate through the whole directory structure of the system.

Keep in mind that SAS is perfectly able to trash a system through using

data _null_;
file "/unix";
put "xxx";
run;

if such a file is not protected against writing. And such action is not dependent at all on Enterprise Guide or SMC settings.

So the responsibility lies with the system admin to harden her system.

The "root" directory for "File" navigation is defined in the workspace server definition, so it is not that easy to differentiate between user groups. This would need a separate server definition.

larryn
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you for your cautionary comments.

keane76
Obsidian | Level 7

May  be you can create for users a soft link from their home directory to the root folder for them to be able to move files.

This way u can set it up for the users who have this requirement and maintain an inventory on which users have access to root directory directly, so that u can have control.

Since the home directory is viewable from EG, just create a soft link from home directory to the root directory.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation