BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
thomp7050
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi Everyone, has anyone used Jupyter with SAS 9.4 (NOT University Edition) and has a good document that could walk me through the process?

I have Installed Anaconda, Jupyter and the SAS Kernel on my windows 7 computer.  Now I am attempting to run some code in SAS but I keep getting this error:

Cannot use STDIO I/O module on Windows. No SASsession established. Choose an IOM SASconfig definition

Does this mean that I can't use Jupyter on Windows at all?  Or does it mean that I HAVE to use university edition to use Jupyter?  Or am I not running a SAS session/process or something else that I am missing?

Patrick 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Resa
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi @thomp7050,

I have Jupyter running on SAS 9.4, however my compute server is running on Linux. Smiley Wink

So I am going a bit out on a limb here, but my idea is that you may have to modify the sascfg.py file.

When I look at the sasbase.py file it seems this error is thrown when the access method is set to either STDIO or SSH (see around line 230).

However, when I look at the sascfg.py file you have several options that you can pick from.

In line 32 the following is indicated:

#SAS_config_names = ['default', 'ssh', 'iomlinux', 'iomwin', 'winlocal', 'winiomlinux', 'winiomwin', 'http']

As a default it is set to default (see line 35)

My guess is that you would have to opt for something with 'win' in the name. Maybe 'winlocal'?

When you look further down this file you will see the various options that are being used when you change the access method.

For example, when you opt for winlocal the options are indicated from line 136 onwards.

It is just a guess but I hope it helps.

Kind regards,

--Resa

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Reeza
Super User

I think there's a README file on the SAS GitHub page that helps with getting Jupyter working with SAS locally. 

Resa
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi @thomp7050,

I have Jupyter running on SAS 9.4, however my compute server is running on Linux. Smiley Wink

So I am going a bit out on a limb here, but my idea is that you may have to modify the sascfg.py file.

When I look at the sasbase.py file it seems this error is thrown when the access method is set to either STDIO or SSH (see around line 230).

However, when I look at the sascfg.py file you have several options that you can pick from.

In line 32 the following is indicated:

#SAS_config_names = ['default', 'ssh', 'iomlinux', 'iomwin', 'winlocal', 'winiomlinux', 'winiomwin', 'http']

As a default it is set to default (see line 35)

My guess is that you would have to opt for something with 'win' in the name. Maybe 'winlocal'?

When you look further down this file you will see the various options that are being used when you change the access method.

For example, when you opt for winlocal the options are indicated from line 136 onwards.

It is just a guess but I hope it helps.

Kind regards,

--Resa

thomp7050
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi Resa, Thanks!  I think I'm getting closer.  Here's the error I'm getting now:

Java Error:
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/sas/services/connection/ConnectionFactoryException
	at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredMethods0(Native Method)
	at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredMethods(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Class.privateGetMethodRecursive(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Class.getMethod0(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Class.getMethod(Unknown Source)
	at sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.validateMainClass(Unknown Source)
	at sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.checkAndLoadMain(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.sas.services.connection.ConnectionFactoryException
	at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
	at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
	... 7 more
Error: A JNI error has occurred, please check your installation and try again
Exception in thread "main" 

Subprocess failed to start. Double check you settings in sascfg.py file.

Attempted to run program java with the following parameters:['java', '-classpath', 'C:\\Program Files\\SASHome\\SASDeploymentManager\\9.4\\products\\deploywiz__94472__prt__xx__sp0__1\\deploywiz\\sas.svc.connection.jar;C:\\Program Files\\SASHome\\SASDeploymentManager\\9.4\\products\\deploywiz__94472__prt__xx__sp0__1\\deploywiz\\log4j.jar;C:\\Program Files\\SASHome\\SASDeploymentManager\\9.4\\products\\deploywiz__94472__prt__xx__sp0__1\\deploywiz\\sas.security.sspi.jar;C:\\Program Files\\SASHome\\SASDeploymentManager\\9.4\\products\\deploywiz__94472__prt__xx__sp0__1\\deploywiz\\sas.core.jar;C:\\ProgramData\\Anaconda3\\Lib\\site-packages\\saspy\\java\\saspyiom.jar', 'pyiom.saspy2j', '-host', 'localhost', '-stdinport', '52898', '-stdoutport', '52899', '-stderrport', '52900', '-zero', '']

If no Java Error above, try running the following command (where saspy is running) manually to see if it's a problem starting Java:
java -classpath "C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASDeploymentManager\9.4\products\deploywiz__94472__prt__xx__sp0__1\deploywiz\sas.svc.connection.jar;C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASDeploymentManager\9.4\products\deploywiz__94472__prt__xx__sp0__1\deploywiz\log4j.jar;C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASDeploymentManager\9.4\products\deploywiz__94472__prt__xx__sp0__1\deploywiz\sas.security.sspi.jar;C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASDeploymentManager\9.4\products\deploywiz__94472__prt__xx__sp0__1\deploywiz\sas.core.jar;C:\ProgramData\Anaconda3\Lib\site-packages\saspy\java\saspyiom.jar" pyiom.saspy2j -host localhost -stdinport 52898 -stdoutport 52899 -stderrport 52900 -zero  

No SAS process attached. SAS process has terminated unexpectedly.
Restarting SAS session on your behalf
in shutdown function
Restarting kernel...
Done!
Out[1]:
'No SAS process attached. SAS process has terminated unexpectedly.'

Do you know if I have to run a sas process via SAS Deployment manager or some other app?  Are you running it from a server or a localhost?

thomp7050
Pyrite | Level 9

Yes, thank you.  I have followed the instructions to their extent.  I have managed to install the SAS Kernel.  I believe that it is an issue of configuration, as @Resa had mentioned.  But I have not found documentation with my error.

Reeza
Super User

Log an issue in GitHub and maybe the developers will respond 🙂

Resa
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi @thomp7050,

I am running it on a (virtual) server with Linux (CentOS 7) as OS.

As far as I know and understand you do not require to run a service to use Jupyter.

My understanding is that it basically starts a SAS session in the same way a batch process is started.

I am no Java expert, but my guess is that maybe one of the settings in the classpath is incorrect.

In the sascfg.py file (lines 130-134) several paths are mentioned. Are yours identical to those?

--Resa

thomp7050
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks, Resa!  I appreciate your input on this topic.

Here is what I had to do to get it to work:

1. Change my sasconfig to "winlocal"
  2. Update the path to the .jar files with my path, which was off by 1-2 characters in a folder name
  3. Add the path to the correct sspiauth.dll file to the system %PATH=

Then it worked!  Much appreciated.

Patrick

Resa
Pyrite | Level 9

@thomp7050 great that you have it working!

I had some fun 'playing with Jupyter' Smiley Very Happy

Also good that you have posted the steps that were needed to get it working.

This will help others that my run into the same issue.

Regards,

--Resa

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation