BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Zachary
Obsidian | Level 7

We are a small organization. At any given time we have at most 4 - 5 users of SAS. But usually I am the only one. We do not have a SAS administrator, but we have a large IT staff. When SAS was installed on our network about six months ago we partnered with Pinnacle to complete the installation. They were great - but there were a few unforseen issues with Enterprise Miner that we since have resolved directly with SAS.

A co-worker of mine, our actuary, was having issues logging into her SAS session though Enterprise Guide today when she had no problem at all last week. The first errors she encountered were all related to profile permissions. A second error said "A connection the server 'SASApp' could not be established." All of these errors seem to have gone away after she double-clicked on her profile.

So she is working with her code in Enterprise Guide right know. SAS works well. But I am trying to trouble-shoot for the future.

Please advise on the best course of action for me to take. Again, I am a little bit the de facto SAS Administrator over here, but my supervisor has requested I focus my efforts more on modeling than on SAS Administration.

Thank you very much in advance.

Zach Feinstein

Zach.Feinstein@SFMIC.com

(952) 838-4289

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Now, for your concrete issue:

Those messages and lack of connections can happen for several reasons:

- SAS System services cannot see the SASApp (permissions on the SASApp and servers below)

- SASApp or user cannot create a log file (permisions on log folder)

- SASApp or user cannot create WORK folders/files (permissions on your temp/work)

- Or any other....

When this happens, you should first see the details on the error from EGuide, enable and check the logs of your SASApp servers and Object Spawner (change to DEBUG level for more detailed info), check mentioned permissions, check the errors generates on the Enterprise Guide itself (from SAS 9.4 only, I think, and you need to enable the Logging feature) and validate all SASApp servers (WOrkspace, StoredProcess, etc)

:

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello Zach,

you can, of course, leave your questions over here. Well, I am not the forum administrator and, in fact, I am pretty new on this forum, but at least I can say that I would be happy to answer your questions.

I think it is a good approach to model/design first your authorization matrix before you start the administration of any (SAS or not SAS) platform. It is not the easier task,  sometimes not the most beautiful, but always interesting and very worthy in the long road.

My advice for you:

- You can always take the Fast Track of SAS Administration course at SAS, or read the documentation on internet.

- But, in other hand, I think the course it is absolutely not enough for start modelling/designing your SAS platform, you need experience and be able to connect problems with solutions before they happen.

- So maybe it would be a good idea to take this support from SAS (there is an special service for that, SAS Application Support, I guess), or any other SAS Consultancy company. They can work with you and provide some guidance on this kind of task. For a reasonable price of course Smiley Happy

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Now, for your concrete issue:

Those messages and lack of connections can happen for several reasons:

- SAS System services cannot see the SASApp (permissions on the SASApp and servers below)

- SASApp or user cannot create a log file (permisions on log folder)

- SASApp or user cannot create WORK folders/files (permissions on your temp/work)

- Or any other....

When this happens, you should first see the details on the error from EGuide, enable and check the logs of your SASApp servers and Object Spawner (change to DEBUG level for more detailed info), check mentioned permissions, check the errors generates on the Enterprise Guide itself (from SAS 9.4 only, I think, and you need to enable the Logging feature) and validate all SASApp servers (WOrkspace, StoredProcess, etc)

:

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

You SAS environment is running in your It environment and that one is controlled by the IT environment of your company.

Most of the problems are having their root-cause in the mis-alignment between SAS ideas external consultant and the internal policies being set.

There can be firewalls & network issues, simple OS layer support controls or RBAC. With that as a possible needed basic foundation this should be solved. 

It is one part of the SAS platform admins role, needing to understand those topics and being an counterpart for your IT-staff.

Then there are some more dedicated processed like SAS metadata build on top of that. Letting that as small as possible you do not bother too much on those.

The SAS monitoring can be made as simple or as difficult as needed, without those basics you are ending in some swamp. It looks you are already moving in that. 
When I see https://www.sfmic.com/about_sfm/annual_review/2013/financials.cfm than with 5 persons not IT support your rather isolated on your own.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Jaap,

yes, you are right, the communication itself is another good consideration. For that, monitoring (on the port numbers) is always a good option, and , again, check the log files.

I experienced the communication issue by firewalls several times, and with Enterprise Guide a lot. And any configuration made (by a internal or external responsible) should be aligned with internal IT policies.

You can check (and monitor) your firewall rules and port numbers, so they can be aligned and you will be notified when there is a problem in communications.

Zachary
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you for all of the thoughtful responses. I have been requested to somewhat steer clear of the SAS Admin duties - but that could change.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 9 likes
  • 3 in conversation