Architecting, installing and maintaining your SAS environment

Installing SAS on Windows 10 Version 1703

Occasional Contributor

Installing SAS on Windows 10 Version 1703

Despite the statement that SAS requires at least version 9.4 TS1M3 to be able to be installed on Windows 10, we have successfully installed 9.4TS1M0 on Windows 10 Version 1607. However, that version won't install on Windows 10 Version 1703 and results in the message: "You've attempted to install software intended for one operating system on a machine using a different operating system."

But if one has installed 9.4 TS1M0 on Windows 1607 and then upgrades Windows to 1703, SAS still works fine.

We now have folks that start out on Windows 1703. We don't need the new features in 9.4 TS1M3. We just want to get 9.4 TS1M0 on Windows 1703 machines.

It seems that something in the installation files could be modified to make this happen.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim

Super User

Re: Installing SAS on Windows 10 Version 1703

What's so bad about being on the current maintenance level?

And if you really want everybody on the same version, consider switching to a server-based setup. Then you only need to deal with the client tools on the desktops, and have one consistent SAS core setup on the server. You may even reduce licensing costs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Occasional Contributor

Posted in reply to KurtBremser

"What's so bad about being on the current maintenance level?"  It's not that it's bad.  We have a perpetual license until 2051 and there's just no need for the newer features for most of our SAS users.  And I don't need everyone on the same version.  I just want their version to work.  And keeping that version means our licensing costs are zero.  Can't reduce it below that.

Super User

Going to the latest maintenance level never incurs additional license costs. And SAS has specifically said that ML X of SAS is not guaranteed to work on version Y of system Z. So any problem you have will be met by SAS TS with "upgrade to current ML", because that is very likely to fix your problems.

Not going to the current ML when working on bleeding-edge Windows releases is, ahem, not the prudent thing to do, IMO. If you want to keep your "old" SAS, then keep your "old" Windows, too.

We know of the many issues with Windows (esp. 10), that's why we exclusively run Windows 7 on our desktops (and no Windows servers).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Occasional Contributor

I'm not high up enough on the food chain to have any say about what operating system my agency (of around 120,000 folks) decides to use.  And we won't be allowed to use Windows 7 even when disconnected from the network (or as a virtual machine on Windows 10) after 2020 when Microsoft "support" ends.

Jim

Occasional Contributor

"Going to the latest maintenance level never incurs additional license costs."  We have been told otherwise.  But if you have suggestions as to how we might pitch that to get the latest maintenance level (as we stopped paying for annual maintenance just before 9.4 TS1M1 came out), that would be great.

Jim

Super User

jbaldwin wrote:

..... as we stopped paying for annual maintenance just before 9.4 TS1M1 came out

Jim

Then you will have to live with the consequences, which will mean no SAS after 2020. Maybe if the idiot(s) responsible receive enough kicks in their (collective) behind(s), they will rethink that (IMHO) extremely stupid decision.

Or once they have spent enough money on "rebuying" SAS licenses for changing OS versions.

Trusted Advisor

Hello @jbaldwin,

I see your concern, but the cost, either the license changes if you just go to the current maintenance level, zero additional costs, just like a hotfix. It is like on windows, a Service Pack.

Occasional Contributor

Posted in reply to JuanS_OCS

That would be great but we've been told otherwise.  We stopped paying for annual maintenance just before 9.4 TS1M1 came out.  If we are still entitled (because of our perpetual license until 2051) to maintenance releases as long as SAS is still just 9.4, that would be really great.  Any suggestions as to how we might phrase the request for the current maintenance release?  (I certainly understand that if SAS went to version 10 or even 9.5, we wouldn't be entitled to that version.)

Jim

Super User

[ Edited ]

I see no harm in asking the question but my understanding of the SAS second year and beyond licence charge (AKA maintenance charge) is that it provides unlimited phone / email tech support and both maintenance and version upgrades. I guess it all depends on what you agreed with SAS when you did the original deal.

It looks like you got lucky with being able to install SAS 9.4M0 on an earlier version of Windows 10. Windows 10 is now a constantly upgrading product and you will need to keep your SAS maintenance level compatible with whatever Windows release you have. If, as you state, you have no control over Windows 10 being updated, then I don't see any other solution but to keep your SAS maintenance up-to-date as well so you are using an officially-supported release. SAS is highly unlikely to tweak an old SAS software version just for you so you can stay on it without paying maintenance.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation