BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
kkliethe
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,  I am trying to install 9.4 on Windows 7, 64 bit.  When I double click on the Setup.exe in the depot, the welcome screen pops up like normal, the progress bar runs through a couple times and the Welcome screen goes away.  I am local admin on my laptop, I haven't had trouble installing other things before.  There is a bootstrap log file under my profile.  No errors in that or during setup while Welcome screen is present.  Nothing install in the program and features.  I tried this a me and run as administrator as suggested in documentation regarding installation.  Accessing install bits via URL and mapped drive.  We are within the grace period of the expiration.  Others have installed from this same depot recently.

I've de-identified and attached the log from my first attempt at installation.

10 REPLIES 10
ballardw
Super User

Is there any chance that the depot is for 64-bits and your machine is 32? Or for Windows 8 or 10?

kkliethe
Fluorite | Level 6
My laptop is 64-bit install bits for 64-bit, verified. I have Windows 7. I don't know how to tell exactly what Windows version the install bits are for, but I just asked those that have successfully installed from our depot and they said they had Windows 7.

Question: If our temp license ran out, and we are in our grace period now, would the installer act this way or give an error stating the expired status? Based on our expiration date we should have until the 29th of January, which would be the end of the grace period as I understand it.

kkliethe
Fluorite | Level 6
My laptop is 64-bit install bits for 64-bit, verified. I have Windows 7. I don't know how to tell exactly what Windows version the install bits are for, but I just asked those that have successfully installed from our depot and they said they had Windows 7.

Question: If our temp license ran out, and we are in our grace period now, would the installer act this way or give an error stating the expired status? Based on our expiration date we should have until the 29th of January, which would be the end of the grace period as I understand it.

kkiran
Calcite | Level 5

What does the SAS Administer say about this. I don't think grace period is an issue here. Have you checked if you have compatible .Net framework installed on your machine?

Also, please check how many licenses are used

ballardw
Super User

Here is a sort of last resort in case the grace period is the issue. I've never installed during the grace period but had some issues with having to reinstall on new hardware.

First if the depot is on a network drive you will want to copy it to a local harddrive. You're going to have to play games with dates and times that many networks do not like.

Make sure you know which key file was used for the initial installation.

Disconnect from networks

Set the PC system date to a date between the intial license date and the start of the grace period. I recommend just a few days into the license.

Attempt to install.

If this installs correctly then apply the latest license key (assumes you may have had this install long enough, if not you could be good to go).

Reset the date and time to the correct date.

Reconnect to your networks.

Or contact tech support.

Kalind_Patel
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Is there any Antivirus installed on your machine?

Because for other windows applications, Antivirus blocks the application to open,

Please start Windows 7 in safe mode, and try to run setup again, generally this issue not occurs in safe mode

anja
SAS Employee

Hi

Is it possible that the software in the depot was updated before your install attempt and the order/sid you have does not

fit to the ship event the order was created for?

Can you verify that your coworker who successfully installed SAS 9.4 from this depot used the same sid you are using?

There should be no problem installing SAS in grace period as long as you use the correct sid, which in this case,

would have to be the temp one and not the original one in the depot.

Thanks

Anja

dpage
SAS Employee

Exiting this early in the process would be unrelated to any license issues. In addition to the log posted here, there should be some others in the same directory, they may shed more information. I'm used to seeing more information in an error dialog that  it sounds like you're not seeing, but it could be a bitness issue as suggested previously, or an inability to reserve enough heap to launch the full Java process (Do you have virtual memory defined? There are instances where even with plenty of physical memory without a page file available, the JVM fails to allocate the requested heap size)

You may consider opening a support track, they'll be able to reach a resolution more quickly than we will.

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @kkliethe,

here is your problem:

INFO: CStartupApp::InitInstance::cmd="C:\Users\[UserID]\AppData\Local\Temp\_setup18243\products\deploywiz__94470__prt__xx__sp0__1\deploywiz.exe"  -cleandir "C:\Users\[UserID]\AppData\Local\Temp\_setup18243" -templocation "C:\Users\[UserID]\AppData\Local\Temp\_setup18243" -startuplocation "\\[servername]\SQL\SAS\SAS Software Depot"
Fri Jan 20 13:28:07 2017
ERROR: ExeProc::ThreadProc::CreateProcess=740

Basically, you are installing on a windows machine through a UNC path, and the process cannot be created: 

"\\[servername]\SQL\SAS\SAS Software Depot"

Therefore your options are:

1. Create a network map of this shared location to a specific logical volume (as S: or Z:)
  2. Copy the depot to a local volume

Once you do this, you can start your installation again. Suggestion: during your installation/configuration, have all the resources (sid file, plan file, etc) on a location of the type described above.

Hope it helps!

Best,

Juan

kkliethe
Fluorite | Level 6

Well, we finally figured it out and I have installed the software on my laptop.  It was something in our environment, an AD group that didn't allow installing software, and it must have been specific things that weren't on an approved list, SAS being non-approved.  When I started asking around, they said "Oh, last week we moved a bunch of devices out of this group, so if it's working now, you must have been one of them.  We hadn't checked that for a long time".   So, if this happens to anyone else, it's likely a user's environment that us causing this behavior in the Setup.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 7 in conversation