BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
prashantgupta
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

Currently we are at SAS 9.4 and SAS VA 7.4.

We want to upgrade SAS to SAS Viya and SAS VA to 8.2 on Windows server. 

Is there any documents or videos explaining step by step process for that?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @prashantgupta,

as an addition to @SASKiwi great advise, you can migrate SAS VA 7.4 to SAS VA 8.2 on Viya. Since they are different kind of platforms, you cannot "upgrade in place" (aka, upgrade over the same server), just migrate. And not absolutely everything since, as good example, SAS Stored Processes are not available yet in Viya. Also security (users, permissions) cannot be migrated. To put it simple, you can migrate  just data and reports.

Also, SAS VA 8.2 is not available yet on Windows, just Linux, hence you will need at least one Linux server to install SAS VA 8.2.

Once VA 8.2 is installed on Linux, you can start by configuring the initial settings, such as synchronising your LDAP users to SAS, importing the data from VA 7.X into VA 8.2 (an import function on VA 8.2, where you can import either sas tables/files or you can connect to your LASR server/servers on 7.x). And, then, you can create a spk (Export) package of your VA 7.X reports and, with a VA 8.2 command line tool, you can import those reports.

http://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=calpromotion&docsetTarget=n0ihk3dsgoiqvtn15oce7kguif1s.htm&do...

Edit: as far as I know the windows part of ESP are basically  the ESP agents that collect/monitor the data (and perhaps some client). ESP agents are ready for multiple types of OSs as most of the agents (e.g, for monitoring).

Edit 2: Thanks to @Renato_sas for this overview ( https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/Promotion-from-SAS-Visual-Analytics-7-x-and-8... ) I think it will help anyone looking for an answer to the question in the subject.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SASKiwi
PROC Star

SAS Viya is not available on Windows servers, only on certain flavours of Linux. Also the architecture is radically different.

Existing SAS sites are installing Viya on separate hardware, then gradually migrating their applications. In other words running both architectures in parallel. This link should help you:

https://support.sas.com/en/documentation/install-center/sas-viya.html

I also strongly recommend you get expert technical advice and help via your SAS account manager. Viya is a big learning curve and getting the right advice is essential to implementing successfully.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Even mentioned on the Viya page, I don't think ESP is a Viya application, more like an application that works together with Viya...or?

Data never sleeps
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @prashantgupta,

as an addition to @SASKiwi great advise, you can migrate SAS VA 7.4 to SAS VA 8.2 on Viya. Since they are different kind of platforms, you cannot "upgrade in place" (aka, upgrade over the same server), just migrate. And not absolutely everything since, as good example, SAS Stored Processes are not available yet in Viya. Also security (users, permissions) cannot be migrated. To put it simple, you can migrate  just data and reports.

Also, SAS VA 8.2 is not available yet on Windows, just Linux, hence you will need at least one Linux server to install SAS VA 8.2.

Once VA 8.2 is installed on Linux, you can start by configuring the initial settings, such as synchronising your LDAP users to SAS, importing the data from VA 7.X into VA 8.2 (an import function on VA 8.2, where you can import either sas tables/files or you can connect to your LASR server/servers on 7.x). And, then, you can create a spk (Export) package of your VA 7.X reports and, with a VA 8.2 command line tool, you can import those reports.

http://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=calpromotion&docsetTarget=n0ihk3dsgoiqvtn15oce7kguif1s.htm&do...

Edit: as far as I know the windows part of ESP are basically  the ESP agents that collect/monitor the data (and perhaps some client). ESP agents are ready for multiple types of OSs as most of the agents (e.g, for monitoring).

Edit 2: Thanks to @Renato_sas for this overview ( https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/Promotion-from-SAS-Visual-Analytics-7-x-and-8... ) I think it will help anyone looking for an answer to the question in the subject.

shirishkamath
Obsidian | Level 7

What is the maintenance release? I believe you can upgrade to the latest MR i.e. 9.4 M5 first.

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

In SAS, a maintenance release is similar to a Release in Windows. It is basically the same SAS 9.4 major version, but including all the hotfixes available for the previous release/maintenance and most probably also some new minor versions/features. In SAS a maintenance release can be identified by opening SAS Foundation and watching the top of the initial log, marked as SAS 9.4 MX, i.e, SAS 9.4 M5, for the 5th maintenance of SAS 9.4

Yes, in the SAS 9.4 you can easily upgrade to maintenances on the same SAS major version. But not between major versions. Meaning:

- You can upgrade from SAS 9.4 M1 to SAS 9.4 M2, M3, M4 or M5, no problems.

- You cannot upgrade from SAS 9.3 or SAS 9.2 to SAS 9.4

- You cannot upgrade from SAS 9.3, SAS 9.4 to SAS Viya.

For the cases I mentioned you cannot upgrade, you will be always able to migrate. I hope it is clearer now.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 13 likes
  • 6 in conversation