BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jbond007
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi SAS Community,
Need your help on how to update the password on the "Display LIBNAME Statement" of sas library on SMC.
The password is encrypted yes but that one I know how to encrypt using pwencode.
The question is, where to update the password?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
Correct, the displayed password is dependent on who is logged in to SAS Management Console. When you store a password in Metadata, the way it is encrypted on disk is set in the omaconfig.xml file using the STOREPASSWORDS option. By default I believe this is SAS005 or AES with a 64 bit salt and 10000 iterations.

Reference Information for omaconfig.xml
https://go.documentation.sas.com/doc/en/bicdc/9.4/bisag/n070fn7r6yuz53n19c7l80f3hr1g.htm
--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
The "Display LIBNAME Statement" function generates what it displays dynamically. So if you are logged in to SAS Management Console as User A, it would show the password accessible to User A. The password would be stored either under the user directly (User's Properties -> Accounts tab), or a group the user is a member of.
--
jbond007
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi gwootton, 

Thank you, so it depends who logged in and run the display libname statement.

Oh I see, accounts tab is where will I update the password but from there I dont see any encryption options so I assume it will automatically encrypt it?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I see your LIBNAME connects to SQL Server. Are you intending to have a static user/password for all data connections to this server because that looks like the way you have set this up? 

gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
Correct, the displayed password is dependent on who is logged in to SAS Management Console. When you store a password in Metadata, the way it is encrypted on disk is set in the omaconfig.xml file using the STOREPASSWORDS option. By default I believe this is SAS005 or AES with a 64 bit salt and 10000 iterations.

Reference Information for omaconfig.xml
https://go.documentation.sas.com/doc/en/bicdc/9.4/bisag/n070fn7r6yuz53n19c7l80f3hr1g.htm
--

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation