BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Mushtaq
Calcite | Level 5

After creating datasets (tables) in SAS 9.3 , I want to register them in a SAS Metadata Repository. But in SASMC, the Register Tables wizard is not available.

Environment Managementthen selectData Library Managerthen selectLibraries.

The "Register Tables" wizard window does not appear.

Is there any alternative?.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ronan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

The absence of this Register Tables Wizard was one of the very few differences between Unix and Windows versions of the SMC. Great to have this feature now available on Linux 9.4 ! Smiley Happy

@Mushtaq : apart from the MetaLib procedure (BTW, you might be able to code a user-friendly wizard yoursel based on Metalib code executed by a Stored Process with dynamic Prompt), the ETL client SAS Data Integration Studio also provides the table registering assistant.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
MikeMcKiernan
SAS Employee

The register tables wizard was exclusive to SAS Management Console on Windows for a very long time.  In the SAS 9.4 release, support for Linux was added.  Only Linux is added, Solaris and other operating systems were not added. I want to say that support for Linux is available as a hot fix to the second maintenance release of SAS 9.3.  However, I'm having trouble finding that information, I don't work with hot fixes often.

One alternative is to use the METALIB procedure.

There is some information in the SAS(R) 9.3 Intelligence Platform: Data Administration Guide, Second Edition

Information about the METALIB procedure is available in the SAS(R) 9.3 Language Interfaces to Metadata

ronan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

The absence of this Register Tables Wizard was one of the very few differences between Unix and Windows versions of the SMC. Great to have this feature now available on Linux 9.4 ! Smiley Happy

@Mushtaq : apart from the MetaLib procedure (BTW, you might be able to code a user-friendly wizard yoursel based on Metalib code executed by a Stored Process with dynamic Prompt), the ETL client SAS Data Integration Studio also provides the table registering assistant.

Mushtaq
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you Ronan,

I used proc metalib and got it done on SAS 9.3. But I do not know how to covert the code into stored process.

Yes, I noticed  SAS 9.4 M2 offers the tap "Register tables"  on Linux sasmc.

ronan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Mushtaq,

You are welcome. In order to create a stored process that does the same job, (almost) no SAS coding skills are required. Only SAS Enterprise Guide.

For instance, you can generate your own SAS synchonrisation code (Proc Metalib)  using SAS Enterprise Guide  Tools / Update Metadata then Right-Click on the node & Modify tasks.

Then with another option in the same menu, you can Create a Stored process with your SAS job. The assistant shall guide you in the forthcoming steps.

To give the final touch, add a cascading Prompt to your Stored Process that will create a Table selection filed based on the Tables to be updated in metadata for the given Library.

SAS Data Integration Studio provides the same facility:  you can generate a SAS Stored Process with your ETL job but I personally don't favor this kind of usage rather far-fetched.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Mike as you say the smc for Linux I think you indicating the one that is installed on Linux to be accessed using x11 for the graphical intetface.

The smc on Windows always could connect to a met as ever running on any operating system serving with wizards to all.

As the smc is a java application it could be a copy deploy only approach avoiding all kind of Windows install issues (needing admin rights). As it is java and using java classes it should be able to run on any operating system. That was the intention of Sun.

Using the x11 at Unix is posing other issues as Unix system administrators do not like graphical approaches eliminating as much as possible they can. To start a process like that you need something like KDE or at least a unix shell.

---->-- ja karman --<-----

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation