BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

Dear colleagues and friends,

Newbie to Management Console.

I am aware that in Base, the following will work:

libname ora oracle user=user--name password=password path=path-name db_objects=all;

However, I couldn't get it to work using Management Console. I have not been provided with such an option nor could  I override or edit the automatically generated libname statement manually. 

Thanks for help!

Haikuo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

There is actually an option about synonyms in registering tables, not libraries. This eventually a non-issue. 

Haikuo

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

There is actually an option about synonyms in registering tables, not libraries. This eventually a non-issue. 

Haikuo

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Actually there is a way of adding LIBNAME options like db_objects in Management Console. You first tick the Library is pre-assigned option in the library Options tab, you can then assign extra LIBNAME options under the Other Options tab. One option we have found very useful is DEFER = YES. We use this on all external database libraries set up in MC so that connecting to the SAS server is not slowed down by having to create lots of database connections at start up. The database connections are only activated when they are selected or referenced in code.

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

This information is indeed very helpful. right now we are instructed to use pre-assigned option for SAS tables only, that is why I didn't even look; and being annoyed by slow starting up,  I will definitely try DEFER=YES option. Just being switched to SAS admin role, I am desperately needing all the help I can get, and I can hardly wait my fast-track training on Jan 14.

Thank you very much!

Haikuo

SASKiwi
PROC Star

No problem. Also here's a very useful document for Management Console newbies and setting up data libraries in metadata:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/guide/EG43MetaLibraries.pdf

One of best tips we found from this document was the setting of AssignMode = 2 on MC data library attributes to show ALL SAS and external database tables by default in the EG server list without having to register them in metadata first.

You might also want to check out this reference for best practices in metadata security as this has implications for data libraries as well:

http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings11/376-2011.pdf

I rate both these papers as among the most useful in distilling what you need to know when setting up metadata in a BI Server installation.

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

Awesome! Now you got me some lullaby papers to read  before falling asleep Smiley Happy

Haikuo

FriedEgg
SAS Employee

I used to use the show_synonyms=yes option for this, however, as you stated the db_object option is the new way to request this information and gives additional control over which objects you will see.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 3 in conversation