BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
dolenmat
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I have an issue with redirecting logs from the SAS applications.

My enviroment is single server application server installation.

What I'm trying to achieve is to redirect logs from the default folder which is in my case "/srv/app/sasva/Config/Lev1/SASMeta/MetadataServer/Logs" to "srv/log/MetadataServer"

I have modified the logconfig.xml file where I have changed the path to the new one. However when I'm trying to start server again via the sas.servers script the server doesn't start properly.

Can you please advise me where should I make changes as well to successfully redirect those logs?

Other logs such as Enviroment Manager was redirected succesfully with just modified xml config file.

Same issue is with ObjectSpawner which doesn't start properly via sas.servers script with modified log config.

Thanks in advance

Matej

4 REPLIES 4
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Make sure to use the correct user for starting the metadata server. This should be the SAS install user.

And then make sure that that user has rwx permissions on the directory where the logs should be stored.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

BTW unless that log directory is on another storage volume (b/c of space issues or similar), I advise against changing the default setting. You will have to make that change again when upgrading your SAS, making that process more complicated.

nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11

Easiest would be to replace the original ../Logs directory with a symbolic link to where you want the logs to go. This is all done on OS level so no SAS re-config is required. SAS doesn't even know the logs are being redirected.

You can even point all logs to a dedicated disk if need be.

alexal
SAS Employee

@dolenmat,

"srv/log/MetadataServer" is an incorrect path. Should be something like /srv/log/MetadataServer, otherwise, you have to create /srv/app/sasva/Config/Lev1/SASMeta/MetadataServer/srv/log/MetadataServer

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 4 in conversation