BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
vtodorov
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello everyone, 

Due to a space issue on SAS server , we need to move some of the Data to remote server. For example :
E:\SrvData\Data_Lev1\folder1 to remote server //server1/Data/folder1 
E:\SrvData\Data_Lev1\folder2 to remote server //server1/Data/folder2

We are running SAS on Windows Server 2012 64bit. The new Data server do NOT have SAS installed on the system. It is basicly storage server.

My issue is how to redefine the SAS libraries to point to the remote server ?

Any ideas ?

Lib.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Disk is cheap, restructuring an application is expensive.

So why isn't attaching more storage to the existing server possible?

Most environments today let you map/attach SAN storage to local server drives, thus make it unnecessary to move any files.

Data never sleeps

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Addendum: I would not recommend this for heavily used libraries, as the networked drives will have significantly inferior performance.

Instead either add internal drives, or have a SAN set up.

vtodorov
Obsidian | Level 7

I've tried this , but i cannot see the server while searching for "New" path. I can see only the local drives and i cannot type on the path window - i can just search folder by folder .

Reeza
Super User

is this just a network drive? Can you navigate to the path from your windows explorer? 

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@vtodorov wrote:

I've tried this , but i cannot see the server while searching for "New" path. I can see only the local drives and i cannot type on the path window - i can just search folder by folder .

Then the user under which the workspace server (that the SMC uses for file navigation) runs does not have that network connection configured/enabled.

vtodorov
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello all, 
@Reeza - Yes it is a network drive and i can navigate it from Windows Explorer. 

@Kurt_Bremser - So i have to configure the SAS Workspace Server to access/connect to the new storage server (no SAS installation there) . After that it will be possible to search the path from the library definition window ?

@LinusH  - It is the client request and my obligation is to research every possible scenarios. 

Best Regards.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@vtodorov wrote:

@Kurt_Bremser - So i have to configure the SAS Workspace Server to access/connect to the new storage server (no SAS installation there) . After that it will be possible to search the path from the library definition window ?

As I see it, there are three different hosts involved in this constellation

- a file server

- the SAS server, which can be reached from your desktop

- your desktop, which is connected to the fileserver and the SAS server

At the moment, the SAS server does not have the network resource from the file server mounted; so your IT people need to set up that connection, preferably in a way that all users that can log on to the SAS server will be able to use that mounted resource.

After that is done, the file navigation possible through a workspace server connection can find the network mount.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Disk is cheap, restructuring an application is expensive.

So why isn't attaching more storage to the existing server possible?

Most environments today let you map/attach SAN storage to local server drives, thus make it unnecessary to move any files.

Data never sleeps
vtodorov
Obsidian | Level 7

Official recommendation by SAS is adding extra storage to the existing/ working SAS Server. Out customer will most likely to agree with this. We are waiting for feedback. 
Thank you.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation