BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
claudiodejesusa
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi everybody,

In my company we use SAS 9.4 Grid on Linux Platform with 3 computer server, also file storage on spectrum scale IBM. 

The last week, we had several problems with performance on the platform, tasks that usually end around 1 minute start to take about 5-8 minutes to finish. I don't take a snapshot but one time takes about 15 minutes, same data, same code, same all.

claudiodejesusa_0-1669168749798.png

Also, i see that the real time is bigger in contrast to the user cpu time..

claudiodejesusa_1-1669168807259.png

I´m a developer, my team is looking for the problem in the platform, but i think i can get some help in this forum to start looking. What kind of test would you apply to see performance problems? How to identify if the problem is about storage, servers communication, network or perhaps application like SAS.

Thanks for all,

Claudio

Claudio
1 REPLY 1
MargaretC
SAS Employee

There are several papers on this website that discusses how to monitor your SAS jobs and hardware infrastruture for performance issues.  53877 - Performance monitoring and troubleshooting (sas.com) 

The SAS log info above shows you are a delay of 8 minutes (from the comparison of real time to the combined CPU time) in your DATA step.  Where is the source and target data files residing?   Is one of the sources an external data base?  If not, then you seem to have a performance issue with the file systems that the DATA step is accessing.   

Hope this helps.

Margaret

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation