Architecting, installing and maintaining your SAS environment

How to export custom messages to sys log from SAS Environment Manager 2.4

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

How to export custom messages to sys log from SAS Environment Manager 2.4

Hi,

We are required to intercept certain events related to security (user login/logout, password change etc.) and export custom messages to syslog. We use SAS Environment Manager (2.4): we have created alerts to intercept targeted events and created custom escalation scheme to export event occurence to syslog. But what is exported to syslog does not meet our requirements, messages need to have a custom format.

Could anyone suggest a solution for exporting custom messages tot syslog?

Environment: SAS 9.4 / Red Hat Linux 6.5

Many thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎06-21-2016 02:12 AM
SAS Employee

Re: How to export custom messages to sys log from SAS Environment Manager 2.4

As you've seen, the escalation scheme doesn't offer customized formatting of messages to syslog.

As an alternative, you could consider having your alert trigger a script which in turn would write out whatever you wanted to syslog.  I'm not personally familiar with the practice, but I'm told you can also have syslog itself watch files directly, and generate messages of your own creation when it detects certain strings.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎06-21-2016 02:12 AM
SAS Employee

As you've seen, the escalation scheme doesn't offer customized formatting of messages to syslog.

As an alternative, you could consider having your alert trigger a script which in turn would write out whatever you wanted to syslog.  I'm not personally familiar with the practice, but I'm told you can also have syslog itself watch files directly, and generate messages of your own creation when it detects certain strings.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks Mark!

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation