BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
maheshtalla
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

I have few doubts and need clarifications on SAS software licensing. We have SAS software and licenses and it's planned deployment designed as packages and based on Roles as well.

1) How will we know the no of licences allocated for the client/server m/cs and for how may users and how to check no of used ones.

2) Is there any restriction on client installations?

3) Suppose I've installed Stand-a-lone s/w like E-guide/JMP on one m/c for one user/client then later same user wants the installation of some package which consists of(E-Guide+E-Miner+Text miner). Now how will the licences gets counted.

4) If I uninstall the s/w or product will it automatically deallocates the licences?

Please clarify on above points and let me know in detailed if any.

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Can't speak for the Miner, but Eguide does not have a license count. Licensing is done via the processing power of the server. You pay for number of cores and licensed modules/applications (like SAS/STAT or SAS/ACCESS) on the server. If 1 or 100 users connect to the server does not make a difference.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Check your SAS contract what the measurement is.

Named users (often done), Number of pc's it is installed on, Number of users/machines that could get access to it.

Servers and Solutions can be negotiated to some others options.

Stand alone installations are only possible to capture when they are being scanned (manually/automatically).

The setinit in SAS in confused as a license (the license is your contract), the setinit is only a technical approach to overcome technical abuse (hacked copies)

The SID is a reflection of your contract but also not your license the SID is used for installation purposes, using the SDW.

Within professional organizations there is a closed desktop approach. This implies that the SDW is almost useless and only causing more complications.

This approach is because of common ICT policies set by regulations where you need to underpin only approved software may be used.

In that professional approach there is often some flexible hardware approach with roaming profiles. All depends with that on your registration which packages (SAS needed to be repackged) to which persons (named users, auditability) is allowed. There you have your connection to licenses on software.

---->-- ja karman --<-----

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation