BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
BruceAlexander
Calcite | Level 5

Folks,

Am new to SAS and planning a new installation.  

I am hoping someone has already solved the questions I am posting and can share your learnings/experiences.

Am wanting to constrain/limit usage in our sandbox environment.

How can I...

1) Constrain the amount of disk storage consumed by an individual user?

2) Limit the amount of processing resources (i.e. cpu, memory, i/o) allocated to any particualr active session?

3) Limit/prevent access to recurring schedules?

4) Limit/prevent ability to write back to a DBMS?

Thanks In Advance,

Bruce

3 REPLIES 3
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
1) Yes, but not using SAS tools. You need to explore the options in your OS.
2) See 1).
3) Please elaborate about this one.
4) Yes. But how to design this is a not a binary matter. You can limit authorization in the RDBMS and in SAS metadata as well. So you need to document the requirements for the environment first and then design the authorization pattern.
Data never sleeps
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

1 and 2 are clearly tasks for the operating system administration. 1 is done with defining quotas for users/groups, 2 by using a tool like the AIX workload manager.

3 needs further clarification. Define "schedules".

4 is a task for the DBMS administrator. Once permissions are correctly set within the DBMS, users will not be able to exceed them from within SAS. Do NOT use a shared DBMS ID; instead have every user use his/her own ID when connecting to the DBMS.

BruceAlexander
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the responses.  Had anticipated that I would be looking outside SAS to address these, but thought I would run the questions by experienced admins.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation