BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Divyesh5192
Fluorite | Level 6

Dear All,

In out current implementation, We are having server with RHEL having 256GB RAM.

Could you please suggest me values of below parameters in sasv9_local.cfg to utilize server resources at best.

-memsize 
-realmemsize 
-sortsize 
-sumsize
-cpucount 

Thank you in advance. 🙂

6 REPLIES 6
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

It comes down to how many concurrent SAS sessions you would have, and the approximate memory usage. 

You want to avoid having the OS to swap, it's better if SAS does that for SAS sessions.

You can start with conservative numbers, monitor (OS, and SAS logs), and make adjustments as you go.

Data never sleeps
rkbright
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Divyesh - What kind of configuration are you running? single? complex multi-teir? 

I have a multi-teir configuration currently on RHEL 7.3 in AWS. I didn't set any local parameters in sasv9_local.cfg as I left the default settings at this time. I usually tell folks to create a sasv9.cfg file in their home directory that will override settings for analyses and processes that require more resources. 

-NEWS !SASROOT/misc/base/news
-SASUSER ~/sasuser.v94
-WORK /tmp
-MEMSIZE 2G
-SORTSIZE 1G
-WORKPERMS 700

Hope this helps

Thanks,

Richard

Divyesh5192
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Richard,

Thank you for prompt response.

We are having plarform LSF implemented over cluster having one server node.

And it is two tier actually, database server and sas server are one different physical node.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

We've found MEMSIZE of 2G to be a bit low for some of our SAS jobs so we now set it at 3G. 

ronan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

See this note for recommended values :

https://support.sas.com/kb/46/954.html

this isn't specific - as every case is (or ought to be) - so tuning up further for your context will take into account

SLA, performance requirements, user needs & expectations etc.

Usually, selecting the number of concurrent sessions and workload profile (light reporting, on demand analytics, batch etc.) as a whole or spliced up into 3-4 categories (light user/middle/heavy user + batch)  will do.

With a large RAM size, if you don't expect too many concurrent sessions, then you might have a look at this paper which describes how to optimize RAM occupation for SAS jobs based on their priorities :

https://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings16/11825-2016.pdf

tmpfs virtual filesystem can help a lot.

If you have installed a SAS in-memory product like Visual Analytics then take care to confine each execution context to avoid conflict of resource like RAM...

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 6 in conversation