BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
abacles
Fluorite | Level 6

I got a laptop (Windows 10) from my school with SAS 9.4 installed on it. I think the SASUSER library points to a folder in my manager's account, which I don't have permission for. When I try to open SAS, the error message says:

ERROR: User does not have appropriate authorization level for library SASUSER.
NOTE: Unable to initialize the options subsystem.
ERROR: (SASXKINI): PHASE 3 KERNEL INITIALIZATION FAILED.
ERROR: Unable to initialize the SAS kernel.

I also have options to open SAS 9.4 (Unicode Support) and SAS 9.4 (English with DBCS) from the start menu. These launch fine, but I get an error in the log afterwards saying "The ODS initializer failed to instantiate during SAS startup." 

Would it be possible to fix either of these using my non-admin account? Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

@abacles wrote:

Thank you so much- it launched!

After it launches I still see the error "The ODS initializer failed to instantiate during SAS startup." I can run code now, but I'm getting "Java virtual machine exception. java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError" for some steps. Are these two errors related?

Since this is a "school computer" I would be strongly tempted to take it back to school and have them fix it.

You have no idea what may have been done to the install.

One thing when you see SAS and Java issues is that SAS can be very picky about the version of Java available. If someone removed the "old" version of Java that SAS installed as part up updating Java in general that can cause the Java virtual machine errors.

(I had an IT upgrade done to my work computer that did exactly that and had to reinstall the old version of Java).

Considering the other issue it may be time to have someone at the school reinstall SAS and make sure the permissions are set so you can run without other issues.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Check the links for the different program starts. If no particular config file is named with the -config option, it uses the one in the SAS installation directory (sasv9.cfg). You can copy that to your own directory, modify it, and then create a desktop link that uses it.

Similar for any autoexec.sas.

abacles
Fluorite | Level 6

After it launches I still see the error "The ODS initializer failed to instantiate during SAS startup." I can run code now, but I'm getting "Java virtual machine exception. java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError" for some steps. Are these two errors related?

ballardw
Super User

@abacles wrote:

Since this is a "school computer" I would be strongly tempted to take it back to school and have them fix it.

You have no idea what may have been done to the install.

One thing when you see SAS and Java issues is that SAS can be very picky about the version of Java available. If someone removed the "old" version of Java that SAS installed as part up updating Java in general that can cause the Java virtual machine errors.

(I had an IT upgrade done to my work computer that did exactly that and had to reinstall the old version of Java).

Considering the other issue it may be time to have someone at the school reinstall SAS and make sure the permissions are set so you can run without other issues.

abacles
Fluorite | Level 6
Thanks! I'll have the school take a look and try reinstalling.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation