BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
BonnaryW
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

In order to install SAS Enterprise and SAS Add-in on user's PC, we have to download the whole SAS 9.4 depot to user desktop which take so much time.  Is there a way, I can create a depot for only SAS Enterprise Guide and PC File Server, and a depot for SAS Add-in? 

Thank you,

Bonnary

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

First of all, get in touch with SAS technical support to fix the Java start issue when using the standalone installers.

There is really NO sense in creating a depot subset for the two applications that have a standalone installer, and you might be facing the same issue with a depot subset, as the SAS Deployment Wizard is also a Java application and might fail with the same problems.

The PC Files Server is not part of the software delivery, it is installed independently.

Look at https://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/pcfsicg/69732/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n1gkwhppdxw1bsn1w... for download and install instructions.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11
Try the Independent Installers under the standalone_install directory of
your depot.

##- Please type your reply above this line. Simple formatting, no
attachments. -##
BonnaryW
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello Nhvdwalt,

Thank you for your response back so quickly to my question.

I used the standalone_install and built a silent resonse file for user to run the installation, unforturnately, there was a unknow issue where the staandalone instalaltion is trying to reference a java path that is invalide...according to SAS Technical Support. To work around this issue, I will need to install the SAS enterprise Guide 7.1 from the SAS software depot and select only the product to install.  Below is the an email from SAS Technical Support:

SEVERE: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program ""C:\bin\java.exe"": CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified

This error is showing that during the installing of the SAS Enterprise Guide standalone install it is referencing this "C:\bin\java.exe" path to installing the SAS/GRAPH ActiveX Control. I would like for you to check this path and see if it is a valid location. I would also like to see if you could go to, C:\Program Files\SASHome, and send back a copy of the "sassw.config" file that is located here.

I think this is related to a known issue where the standalone installation is trying to reference a java path that is invalid. The current SAS products that are install most likely did not have the SAS Private JRE installed with them. So this invalid path was created in the "sassw.config" file. To work around this you will need to install the SAS Enterprise Guide 7.1 from your SAS software depot and select only this product to install. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you.

nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11

Sure...

You could also create a sub set of your original depot and only create it for the Windows OS. But that will just reduce the size of the depot a bit and you'll still be stuck to either copying the depot to the client PC or using it across the network. So I would really push and try and get the independant installer working.

Do you have Java installed on the PC ? What happens if you open a command prompt and just type java ? On my PC, Java launches and gives the help page.

Looking at the error it looks like some environment variable is not set, looks like the middle piece is missing since it only references c:\ and ..\bin\java.exe My path is C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_131\bin\java.exe

BonnaryW
Obsidian | Level 7
Hello nhvdwalt,
Thank you. I forgot to mention the user's PC has SAS EG 4.3 installed and we need to install SAS EG 7.1 and have the two versions run parallel. On the PC, we have jre6 install on C:\program Files\Java\jre6\bin (32bit OS machine).
Thank you.
nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11
Ok
So what happens if you type java on the command line ?

BonnaryW
Obsidian | Level 7
Hello,
This is what I get.
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>java
Usage: java [-options] class [args...]
(to execute a class)
or java [-options] -jar jarfile [args...]
(to execute a jar file)

where options include:
-client to select the "client" VM
-server to select the "server" VM
-hotspot is a synonym for the "client" VM [deprecated]
The default VM is client.

-cp
-classpath
A ; separated list of directories, JAR archives,
and ZIP archives to search for class files.
-D=
set a system property
-verbose[:class|gc|jni]
enable verbose output
-version print product version and exit
-version:
require the specified version to run
-showversion print product version and continue
-jre-restrict-search | -jre-no-restrict-search
include/exclude user private JREs in the version search
-? -help print this help message
-X print help on non-standard options
-ea[:...|:]
-enableassertions[:...|:]
enable assertions
-da[:...|:]
-disableassertions[:...|:]
disable assertions
-esa | -enablesystemassertions
enable system assertions
-dsa | -disablesystemassertions
disable system assertions
-agentlib:[=]
load native agent library , e.g. -agentlib:hprof
see also, -agentlib:jdwp=help and -agentlib:hprof=help
-agentpath:[=]
load native agent library by full pathname
-javaagent:[=]
load Java programming language agent, see java.lang.instrument

-splash:
show splash screen with specified image

C:\WINDOWS\system32>
BonnaryW
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

I don't know how to create a subset of SAS products for SAS EG, SAS Add-in, SAS PC File Server, will you please assist?

Thank you.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

First of all, get in touch with SAS technical support to fix the Java start issue when using the standalone installers.

There is really NO sense in creating a depot subset for the two applications that have a standalone installer, and you might be facing the same issue with a depot subset, as the SAS Deployment Wizard is also a Java application and might fail with the same problems.

The PC Files Server is not part of the software delivery, it is installed independently.

Look at https://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/pcfsicg/69732/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n1gkwhppdxw1bsn1w... for download and install instructions.

BonnaryW
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you for the informaiton KurtBremser. I contacted SAS Technical Support regarding the issue, below is the information regarding the issue:

Thank you for the provide installation logs. I was able to look at them and I did find an error in the SDW_2017-07-11-16.23.05.log file. Please see the error below:

Jul 11, 2017 4:23:22 PM com.sas.ssn.Logging logStackTrace

SEVERE: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program ""C:\bin\java.exe"": CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified

This error is showing that during the installing of the SAS Enterprise Guide standalone install it is referencing this "C:\bin\java.exe" path to installing the SAS/GRAPH ActiveX Control. I would like for you to check this path and see if it is a valid location. I would also like to see if you could go to, C:\Program Files\SASHome, and send back a copy of the "sassw.config" file that is located here.

I think this is related to a known issue where the standalone installation is trying to reference a java path that is invalid. The current SAS products that are install most likely did not have the SAS Private JRE installed with them. So this invalid path was created in the "sassw.config" file. To work around this you will need to install the SAS Enterprise Guide 7.1 from your SAS software depot and select only this product to install. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation