BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
gorata
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Guys,

i receive the following message when i am trying to log in on my SAS App Server.

/The launch of the server process failed with an unknown status code.

I've checked already in my destination where Object Spawner logs are and i have:

/sas - The launch of the server (SASApp - Workspace Server) process failed with an unknown status code (255)./

There are a couple of similar posts reg this but i couldnt identify resp. fix my issue based on these..

I am accessing EG via Citrix . SAS EG v 6.1 is installed on Linux.

I suppose is an access rights issue, but i am currently not sure on which point. I checked everything, i think but still the same issue.

Could someone point me out or write down with bullet points on which points i have to check this?

thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SimonDawson
SAS Employee

The launch of the server (SASApp - Workspace Server) process failed with an unknown status code (255)

On new deployments on UNIX/Linux this almost always means the user doesn't have a home directory on the compute machine. Their SASUSER library is failing to be allocated.

I'd jump onto the console as the user who runs the SAS session and see if you can run WorkspaceServer.sh.

EDIT - P.S. logging in with SSH might trigger the home directory to be created and you might not see a problem from then on.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
alexal
SAS Employee

@gorata ,

Do you have any workspace server log either in /SASConfig/LevX/Logs or /SASConfig/LevX/SASApp/WorkspaceServer/Logs directories? If not, please enable logging as described here, reproduce the problem and show us the workspace server logs.

gorata
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

Client is Win based of course. 🙂

In this case only my user is affected from this issue.

Cheers

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Then I would log in to the command line via SSH and try to run the workspace server start script from there.

It is Lev1/SASApp/WorkspaceServer/WorkspaceServer.sh in your configuration tree.

You can also check if your login attempts leave a workspace server log in Lev1/WorkspaceServer/Logs.

shivas
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi,

Make sure all your services are running.

Secondly check if the user has permissions to launch Server---he is part of log on as batch job?

Thanks,

Shiva

SimonDawson
SAS Employee

The launch of the server (SASApp - Workspace Server) process failed with an unknown status code (255)

On new deployments on UNIX/Linux this almost always means the user doesn't have a home directory on the compute machine. Their SASUSER library is failing to be allocated.

I'd jump onto the console as the user who runs the SAS session and see if you can run WorkspaceServer.sh.

EDIT - P.S. logging in with SSH might trigger the home directory to be created and you might not see a problem from then on.

DanielleCWhite
Fluorite | Level 6

Adding a reply so that this post is visible in search results for another error message that can occur due to this condition (at present none of the results for the error below lead to this probably being the cause.) In a grid environment running SAS Workload Orchestrator the missing home directory condition can cause the following error to be the content on the output tab of the failed Workspace Server job for the user: System Aborting Status=803fc21e

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 7 in conversation