BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
piyushdwij
Calcite | Level 5

Hi , i am using sas 9.3 portable version on windows 7 32 bit intel i5 processor ( 4 cores )  , i need to enable parallel processing to harness rest of the core , its using only one.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

"Portable" is not a SAS edition that I know of, so I just asume you are working with Base/Foundation.

Submit:

proc options group=performance;

run;

Check the options threads and cpucount. In your case, it should default to THREADS and CPUCOUNT=4.

Not all SAS processing uses threads. Sorting, aggregation by SQL and some procs uses threads.

Data never sleeps

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

"Portable" is not a SAS edition that I know of, so I just asume you are working with Base/Foundation.

Submit:

proc options group=performance;

run;

Check the options threads and cpucount. In your case, it should default to THREADS and CPUCOUNT=4.

Not all SAS processing uses threads. Sorting, aggregation by SQL and some procs uses threads.

Data never sleeps
piyushdwij
Calcite | Level 5

ok ,i just ran that code and yes it has threads and cpu count 4 , but that does not help me as when i am working with a dataset that has 400,000+ records the proc SQL taking more than 2 hours to complete and during that time resource manager shows only one CPU in full use rest  3 are idle. ho can i speed up things from here ?

piyushdwij
Calcite | Level 5

found out how to specify threads option in proc SQL .

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Can't see that would make any difference in your case, or did it?
Share your SQL, if it doesn't contain much sorting/aggregation it will be single threaded a part of its process time.
If you are running on a laptop chances are that you have i/o or memory constraints. Submit:

Options fullstimer msglevel =i;

To get more information in the log on what's going on.
Data never sleeps
piyushdwij
Calcite | Level 5

yes , it did not make any difference. 😞

SimonWilliams
SAS Employee

Hi piyushdwij,

As LinusH already mentioned you may have an I/O bottleneck. Does laptop have seperate drives or paritions to manage your permanent and temporary SAS datasets? Having seperate disks for permanent and temporary datasets can help speed up the processing.

In addition if you are accessing an MS SQL Server (presumably not on the same machine that you have SAS on) and you are submitting SQL code, why not submit explicit MS SQL server code and have SQL server do the processing for you?

Without seing your code i don't think there is much more that i can add.

One final thought. This sounds more like a data management question so you may want to post this to: https://communities.sas.com/t5/Data-Management/ct-p/data_management

Cheers, Simon

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation